How do you do birthday parties for your kids?

My daughter is having her 6th birthday this weekend. We have invited 15 girls and 10 have RSVP'ed so far, ranging in age from 4 to 8, but mostly kindergarteners. There will be 5 adults here.

She has picked out a couple of crafts that she would like to do that we just plan to set out for the girls to do if they would like (stuff to make simple jewelry, foam crowns and wands to decorate, and coloring sheets). We had also planned a couple of games that they could play (Bingo, pin the tail and pass the parcel). There will be a pinata and we'll serve lunch.

What I am wondering is how much structure is appropriate? For this age, have you been more successful letting them just play or creating activities? I want them to have fun, but I am a little nervous about chaos. Or maybe chaos is just par for the course?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Jan. 5, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• we try to have 10 kid limit.

everyone get there, have a bit of play then do a craft. then we eat, another activity of some kind (I've tried to plan but they end up making their own games up), and presents and cake.

its usually just me and the kids so yeah...chaos. lol never had any parents stay at the party.

but go with the flow and don't stress - its when mommy stresses and worries and tries to do too much that the party flops. just let things happen as they will and keep a loose schedule.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:39 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• We don't have parties. We take them out to eat, have cake and that's it. We don't make a huge thing out of it. If there are other kids there then they are the kids of my friends and there is no structure. The kids just run around and play and then have cake. I don't even expect the "guests" to bring gifts. I tell them their presence is gift enough.
    My kids have never complained about how we do their birthdays. My middle daughter's 7th birthday turned out perfect. We went out to eat at Red Robin and she got balloons and ice cream and, since it was so nice (70+ degrees in November) we went for a walk in the woods. It was a wonderful day. She got her gifts first thing in the morning and picked up some store bought cupcakes (normally I make them but was exhausted) for the kids that night.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:01 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I am a super party mom! I love birthday parties! A key element to having the parties at home is definetly structure, no-one likes a party that drags on for hours and hours with little idea as to when the next activity is. I make a list with times and activites and try and stick with it, you of course are going to have games that may be more popular and last longer so it's not possible to time it to a "T". You should try and keep the party under 2 hours (unless it's a slumber party). I go from one activity to another right after one is done and I ask my spouse or another parent for help with clean up or whatever it takes to get to the next activity quickly. Keep the kids busy and recruit parents for help! Good luck!
    67mermaid

Answer by 67mermaid at 1:44 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• i do my daughters bday parties at the local rec centre...they set up a huge bouncy castle, lots of pads they can jump on and under, and over and thru, lol, they set up hockey, basketball, hula hoops, they have lil cars they can ride on ohhh its awesome!! kids have a BLAST!! they play for an hour, (we just do snacks, so they can eat a bit and go back and play) then we do cake and presents, and once thats done they go back to playing til its time to go!! i think parties are all about playing...ya activites can be fun..but, maybe like 1 or 2....not one after the other after the other after the other etc...but thats my thought!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:19 AM on Jan. 6, 2010