Is your gas bill as ridiculous as mine???

I received my gas bill in the mail yesterday and it was $359.28 for the month of December, that is crazy...... I cant freeze me and my daughter but something needs too be done. I dont know how much its gonna be next month..... its 14 degrees today. Cant keep up with this gas bill:(

rosesrred1

Asked by rosesrred1 at 11:36 AM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Oh wow honey I am sorry. OUr gas only runs the stove so ours is only 10 dollars and our electric is 50
    southerncharm86

Answer by southerncharm86 at 11:39 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• cover your windows and use space heaters! i lived in a tiny one bedroom hiouse and kept the heater on 65 gas bill would be almost 200$. i filled every hole i could and put really heavy plastic on the widows and the second door,
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 11:40 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Do you live in California that is how much my daughter has to pay. We live in Colorado and we pay under $100.

one of the many reasons we moved from CA to CO. You just work to pay everyone else:P
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:45 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I had a $300 bill at my mom's house back in 1993 in Long Island, NY. The higheset in the nation!So count yourself lucky you don't live there!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Thats average for Marylanders. We got hit with a 85%raise in prices for gas and electric raise bye BGE. I keep mine down to 80 normally, but december it was 114. Try keeping things unpluged. Microwaves, computers, toasters, cell phones chargers.. keep your heat no higher then 68.
    PhatAttack

Answer by PhatAttack at 11:54 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Wow, no. We live in Iowa where it has been -24ร‚ยบ with windchill lately and our gas/electric bill is only $109. I think you need to have your house evaluated and get some energy saving help. Also we are on a budget with MidAmerican so we pay $109 every month even if we only spend $50 but the remaining $59 is credited to our account and then if we spend $150 and only pay $109 it evens out for the year, make sense?

The last house dh and I rented would turn out $350+ energy bills because the windows were bad, the insulation was old and poor, and the house just need quite a bit of work. So we put plastic over the windows, rolled towels and laid them in front of the door seam on the bottom, put curtains up over every window, and stocked up on blankets for the couch and some small space heaters because electric is cheaper than gas.
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 11:56 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• We don't have gas but our heat runs off of electricity so our electricity bill adds up. The whole utility bill itself is around $300ish.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 12:03 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Shoot, Our gas AND electric went up last month - about $35 more for gas and about $40 more for electric. We bought space heaters and I strongly believe they are the reason for the increase in the electricity bill..We had been using them A LOT but they only work in a bedroom with the door closed, so the one in the living room is pointless. We stopped using that one and have been running the main heater a bunch since it snowed and got even colder here (New Mexico), so that is most likely the reason for the gas increase. It's not TOO bad, but it still sucks.

I'm sorry your gas bill is so ginormous! Good luck, momma.
    ajtherad

Answer by ajtherad at 12:12 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Ouch!

Our gas bill was almost $300 for December, and I was happy (last year it was closer to $500 in December). I looked closer and realized that it was estimated, I'm dreading the gas bill for January! It's been in the 20's here.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:15 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Yeah sounds like mine and next month it will be worse it has been in the minus here in MN for over a week. You better believe I FLIP out when the door gets left open to long.
    Fordmomma

Answer by Fordmomma at 12:23 PM on Jan. 5, 2010