How do I stop my son from throwing things that he is holding in his hand when he gets upset?

My son will have an object in his hand and throw it down on the ground in any place we are (it does not matter on location). I have talked to him that the object could hurt someone else if it hits him. I have also tried time outs for the last few weeks. Any other suggestions? Or do you think that I should keep doing what I am doing and eventually it will change?

Janette526

Asked by Janette526 at 3:32 PM on Jun. 25, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would suggest telling him, if you throw that toy tomorrow I'm taking your playtime at the part away. Or I'll have to take away your favorite blankie for the day until you start behaving. That's what I do with my son so far it works, tell them your going to take away something they love this way they won't throw the certain item. Or even start taking away the item from him, tell him he cannot get it back, and still put him in the corner until you feel its fit to let him out.
    emly40

Answer by emly40 at 3:36 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• If my 2 yr old dd throws her bowl or cup on the floor when she is done, or if she leaves a toy on the floor I make her pick it up and put it where it belongs. Now, for the most part, when she is done with her dish, she puts it in the sink, and when I say to pick up her toys, she helps.
    lynenedubbels

Answer by lynenedubbels at 3:48 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• Both good suggestions. If I tell my kids to stop throwing something and they continue it, I take the object and they are not allowed to have it for the rest of the day. If it continues, they go to the corner.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:51 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• Whenever my son throws something... and ESPECIALLY if it hits a person, the dog, or the TV... I smack his hand and say "Don't Throw toys in the house!" If you're not a hitting/spanking type of person, then keep up with the time outs... hopefully he'll get the message that it's unacceptable to throw fits like that.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 4:15 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• pop his hand! EVERYTIME he does it
    Anonymous