How long should a child ride in a stroller?

My son is 2 and a half...and my husband says its time to get rid of the stroller. What age did your kids leave the stroller? i feel like my baby is growing up so fast!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Jan. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• can't recall for the older two, but we stopped last year when dd was 2ish. she walked more than anything anyway
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:51 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• We have two girls and bring the double stroller whenever we know it is going to be a few hours of somewhere. My 6 yr old still gets tired and sits for a bit.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• My youngest is 4, and we still have him in the stroller for longer trips, but that's because of his Autism. It's comforting for him to be on a small space like that when he's over whelmed, and keeps him from a meltdown. With my first, I think I stopped at 3 or just before 3 years old.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 11:53 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• If they're wanderers,kids should be in it til they no longer fit IMO
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 11:53 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• We did without at about 2 1/2-3. The youngest refused to use it once he saw brother running around but we kept the umbrella stroller around for when we went on trips where we walked a lot. I think we last used it last year when my youngest was 3 and my oldest was 5. They both rode in it then.

Your should stop using it when both you and your husband are comfortable with it. Use it less frequently and soon you won't even miss it.
    Cafe Jenn

Answer by Cafe Jenn at 11:56 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• My son hated to walk for long periods...he would get tired. He used the stroller until he was in Kindergarten and only stopped because he was embarrasssed to run into classmates. He still hates that he stopped...even at 13 he wishes he could still ride in it. Heck, I ejoyed having a spot to sit my purse and bags. I say, why bother stopping who cares if he is 2 and wants to sit in it? Who's he hurting? No one. And, his legs are smaller and not as strong as you and your hubby's legs, he will tire before you and I'm sure he won't want to hold your son allday.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:58 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Around 2 1/2, when they were able to walk long distances holding hands and not whining too much. We kept the stroller around until the youngest was 3 1/2 just in case but haven't used it since she was 2 1/2 (she's almost 4 now).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:00 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• My son just turned two and we still use it. We've never really used it much (babywearing was a lot easier and still is most days) but if we go to the zoo or the park or really anywhere there'll be a lot of walking then the stroller comes with. I figure when he's six or do we won't need it anymore but little kids get tired.
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 12:14 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• It depends on how often you use it. My oldest would have stayed in it until we pushed him out! :) Which happened when his sister was born and we needed the double stroller for the younger two. He was 3 1/2. My daughter on the other hand never wanted to sit in the stroller once she could walk, so we got rid of it by the time she was 2.
    But beware - kids are much easier to keep track of when they are in the stroller versus being out!!

Answer by missanc at 12:37 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• When I go out by myself my three year old walks, his little brother (2 years old) and sister (4 months old) sit in the double stroller. But when we go out as a family somewhere, dh will push our three year old in an umbrella stroller. It is just a lot easier that way and there is no worrying about them wandering off and such.
    Anonymous