MY BOYS ARE 9 .. HOW OLD SHOULD IST WHEN I CAN LEAVE THIM HOME

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I think it is law, not sure though, that you can't leave your kid at home til they are 12. And then, I would make sure they are mature for the situation. But, maybe you should check your laws and make sure you feel comfortable leaving them at home.
    IWantLotsOfKids

Answer by IWantLotsOfKids at 11:51 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Not a matter of age. It depends on maturity. I don't know your boys, so, I can't give an answer. My son could be left alone for periods of time starting at 8. And longer and longer periods as he became older and more mature and reliable. He is 13 and can pretty much stay on his own all day..probably longer, but, not going to let him stay longer than a workday + a little grocery shopping added on. No need in longer than that. But, he was coached on rules, senarios and more before I left him. He also had a binder that I wrote down any info he could possibly ever hope to need in it. plus left notes and he could call me or my mom as needed.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:53 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• There aren't laws in every state for a specific age...some base on maturity level.
    BradenIsMySon

• At 9 they should be fine alone for a quick trip to the store or something. Less than an hour.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:19 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• My son is 9 and I let him stay home by himself if I'm going to be no more than an hour or so.

Answer by missanc at 1:17 PM on Jan. 5, 2010