can you still get pregnant after a tubal ligation?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:00 PM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Just for Fun

• yes.

you have a 60% chance of having an ectopic pregnancy if you do.

about 1 in ever 300 Tubal Ligation procedures result in failure and a woman becomes pregnant.

if you believe you may be, you should be tested immediately.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:02 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Yes you can but sometimes it depends on the method used for your tubal ligation. I think if your tubes were clamped as opposed to cut and burned, there is a higher risk of getting pregnant. Like the PP said, there is an increased risk of an ectopic pregnancy so if you think you're pregnant, you need to take a test right away.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 12:14 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Yes, but it's unlikely. It is a very effective form of birth control, but like anything but abstinence there is a failure rate. If anyone suspects pregnancy after a tubal ligation, it's really important to check for ectopic pregnancy right away. Sometimes the tube is open enough to let sperm pass through, but is too scarred to let the fertilized egg pass through, leading to an ectopic pregnancy. This happened to my aunt after her tubal ligation and she almost died after her tube rupture and she had massive internal bleeding. At first they didn't check for pregnancy because she said it was impossible for her to be pregnant when she went to the ER for abdominal pain.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:27 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• yes you can...I have had a tubal ligation and my doctor asked me (after a few nights of being very ill) if I was pregnant, and my obvious answer was "of course not!, I've had my tubes tied!!) And his answer to me was...." well that doesn't mean anything I just delivered a baby yesterday from a woman who's had a tubal ligation. It is quite unlikely, but it can happen.
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 1:13 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I have heard you can, but I've been tied for 16 years now and no pregnancies since then.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:13 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• It can happen.
    shantestv

Answer by shantestv at 10:22 PM on Jul. 4, 2010