17 month old and talking?

How clear does you 16-17-18 month old toddler boy talk?

My son says some words very clear most of the time like Dadda, Momma, Cat, No, Yea... and then sometimes out of the blue he will say what, book, snow very clear but only like once.

I'm not too concerned on his development because he has been ahead all the time since he was born, and he can even put together a puzzle which I think is amazing for his age.

I just wondered how clear your little one talks, I havent been around kids at this age so I dont know what is normal.....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:11 PM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Congrats if he's advance. But what kind of puzzle is he putting together?

Anonymous

• Not to concern you, because it sounds like your son is right on target for his speech/age, but my 12 year old son who has moderate/severe autism could put a 24 piece puzzle together upside down when he was 18 months old.

Answer by missanc at 12:14 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Well, my son was speaking extremely clearly at that age...and already past sentences to paragraphs, BUT, he is NO WHERE NEAR the norm for that age. Your son sounds like he is exactly where he should be to even a little ahead.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:16 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• My son is 19 months and he's saying "mommy,""daddy,""luna(moon in spanish),""Tony(his name),""Shhhhhh." He's learning words really fast.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 12:17 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I wouldn't worry he is attempting to speak. I have girl/boy twins 2 years old, and my daughter has always and continues to smoke my son in speech. I think it's a boy thing, just lazy. My son can say somethings clear and garbles the rest.
    doublefistin

Answer by doublefistin at 12:18 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• My son can say a few words very clearly. "Mom", "Mamma", "Dadda", "Yea", "Baba" (Bottle).
    But he mostly mimicks the sounds of other words rather then tries to say the word. He's very interested in sound and always has been. He does put his hands on our cheecks when we're talking to him to try and see how we're saying them. He's getting better. I work with him everyday, but like I said he's more interested in the sound of it then the actual word.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:20 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• well, my son is only 12 months so i cant speak on the age level answer you are looking for. He says mama, dada, bite bite, baba, hi, bye and uh oh. I think each child advances at different levels. Yours seems to be doing well.
    Super09Mom

Answer by Super09Mom at 12:24 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I wouldn't be concerned. My daughter was also advanced in many areas, but she didn't start repeating words consistently or making understandable sentences until she was 31 months old. She's almost 3 now, and it seems like she just woke up talking and hasn't stopped. If you don't have the book, What to Expect in the Toddler Years, it's a great buy, and it can give guidelines for how many words your child should be able to say at this age.
    baenglishwc05

Answer by baenglishwc05 at 12:30 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• At 18 months I wrote down that my son had 11 words, hi, bye, mommy, daddy, cat, dog, bird, ball, uh oh, that, and boo!
    For the most part they weren't clear. He's 4 and still isn't very clear unfortunately. My daughter had even less at 18 months, but at 2 is way ahead of where he was. My kids also did puzzles very early. People say it's my husbands engineer genes, I was an early talker but have never been good at puzzles, maybe my next kid will be more like me.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 12:45 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• My son at 17 months had mostly 1/2 words. about 19 months he had a verbal explosion !!!!!! within a month he was saying 3-4 word sentance's - it was truly amazing!!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:06 PM on Jan. 5, 2010