Why don't they pay daycare workers that much?

I mean they don't pay bolony, with all the stuff you have to put up with you would think they would pay good to atleast look forward to working with awhole bunch of kids. I mean the hell you go through with some kids makes you just want to go else where...I mean my heart is in it but my body isn't. Now if they paid decent I would just deal with it the best way I can. Like maybe 10.oo dollars would sound good for starters....lol and that is not even that much for the money these daycare providers rake it. I know if I owned a daycare I would pay my employees good so they will be happy and stay alot longer with me and then I will be happy too bc everyone will be happy too...especially the kiddies :)
Aahh! but that would only be in a perfect world.....sigh!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:17 PM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Money & Work

• I hear the military day cares pay very well bc they know how important it is to have dependable people watch the children so the military personnel can do their job.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:19 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Because they don't make that much money. I have worked in daycares and parents will not pay that much for them to pay there staff that well. I know all daycares would love to pay there staff more but because as a parent it is not like you can afford to pay for daycare the much. They money has to come from somewhere and you are not going to get it on parents that are on budgets too.
    Anonymous

• I havent done daycare or preschool work since 2008. But at that time I was working in daycare. in the nursery for 1-2 yr old boys. I always had a room full, always was on the run, getting peed, pooped, snotted on, I fed them, and played with them, kepy them from hurting each other, etc all day long. I got paid 6.07 an hour. It lead to me quitting. I love kids. but its different when its not your kids and your rules of raising. There would be complete brats in my class that I couldnt control nor had to rights to properly punish. A kid thats allowed to run wild at home all day will not respond to a 5 min time out in daycare.
    Super09Mom

Answer by Super09Mom at 12:20 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Super09Mom you got to give them time outs? My daughter worked in a day care and couldn't even look them in the eye by being face to face with them (she was being too aggressive is what they told her!!) Yea it scuks being a day care worker.....
    Midnite00

Answer by Midnite00 at 12:26 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I work for four years at a daycare...I was paid $5.25/hr. No overtime pay even if I worked over. and sometimes she had us wait a weeek to cash our checks. LOL I now am a recptionist for a law firm. I mainly sit on my butt playing on the computer..I am paid $9.25/hr. Something is not right with that. Not complaining for what I have, but, you would think that the one watching the kids would get paid more.
    Anonymous

• Sorry, my keyboard is faulty. Unless I hit the keys super hard. LOL
    Anonymous

• Who is "they"?lol Most parents cannot afford to pay the 500 or more a week it would require so daycare workers could be paid more. People chose their job if a daycare worker wants to make more money she can chose a different job.
    Anonymous

• I had a home daycare to supplement our income while my husband finished his Master's. I charged 250 a week per child. I had 5 children plus my son and it was more than enough money for us combined with my husbands part time income. I played with the kids, read to them and taught them basics that would be taught in a preschool. I gave it up when my husband became a VP at his company. Do daycare from home on your own you will make more.
    Anonymous

• Because some parents are cheap! I worked in a daycare for years and got paid horribly. I will say to all those parents who want to pay little to nothing for childcare, you get what you pay for! You may think your child is being cared for properly but think again! And to the anon poster who thinks it's ok that daycare workers get paid little and they should find a new job if they don't like it, little do you know what is happening to your kids in daycare, since I'm assuming you are one of the cheap asses who doesn't think you should have to pay for someone else to raise your child.

I will never understand not wanting to pay top dollar for the care of your child! Aren't they worth spending that money??!!!
    Anonymous