What message does this send?

COLUMBIA, S.C. — Republican leaders in a South Carolina county known as a GOP stronghold have voted to censure U.S. Sen. Lindsey Graham for working with Democrats on immigration and climate change.

It's the second time since November that Republicans in a South Carolina county have voted to censure the GOP senator.

Lexington County Republican Party Chairman Rich Bolen said Tuesday the county's executive committee voted 13-7 to rebuke Graham following more than an hour of debate late Monday.

In November, Charleston County Republicans censured Graham over climate change legislation.

Phone and e-mail messages left with Graham's office were not immediately returned. In November, his spokesman said the senator has a solidly conservative voting record but believes politicians must work across the aisle.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 12:38 PM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• This behavior does bother me. I would hope that he is representing his constituency instead of his own ideals, but I don't like that the club mentality. It shouldn't be an either or, they are all elected to represent the people that put them in office. Now, if you are okay with them making their own decisions regardless of constituency opinion, then you have no room to gripe. Other wise, this could be an example of him representing his constituency instead of toeing the party line. I don't know about everyone else, but I would rather my representatives actually represent their constituency.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:34 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• No different than Dems bullying other Dems into voting for this health care non reform. Both parties are full of corrupt people. Not just the evil Republicans you blindly hate so much.
    Anonymous

• It sends a very segregated message, saying that no matter what, the right wing nuts will never try to play well with others, even if it's in others' best interest to do so. It's always their way, or the HELL way. Sigh...
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 1:09 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Well, when an elected representative goes against the wishes of his constituents someone should speak up and say something! Graham certainly appears to be a RINO and I think he might would switch parties were it not for the problem the Dems are having right now.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 1:33 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Grahamnesty!

Running for President.

He isn't conservative enough for me.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 1:46 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

I actually don't hate republicans, but yes, on CM there are some that are pretty disgusting and I know there are bullies on both sides. When one party actually censures a member just for working with the other side it sets a dangerous precedent. This is saying we will not attampt to work with the other side, they are elected to do just that

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:46 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

Hi RINO about him, he was WORKING with, in order tio have some repub ideals recogonized..how does obstruction help his constituients?

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:47 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• LOL They are just po'd because he's doing what you are supposed to do in congress WORK TOGETHER. Oh and they are still bitter over the whole Beck debacle. Bunch of crybabies,

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 2:09 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Graham certainly appears to be a RINO What??

WHY is he a RINO because he is working with Dems? LMAO. If you listen to that man he is clearly a Republican.

Can you tell me a few positions on issues he's taken that would be similar to the Democratic party? Back up your accusation please.

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 2:12 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• He wants to enact gun control that uses a medical database. He supported Sonia Sotomayer's nomination. He actively supports a great bit of the climate change bunk for dollars. He hangs an R behind his name and votes on a D ticket. The man is a rino.

Most politicians these days tell people what they want to hear until after the election, and than forget who they work for and do what they want. A lot more constituents need to stand up and censure when the person they voted for based on campaign rhetoric turn around and do the exact opposite. If the bums were selling a product it would be considered false advertising.

The only way to fix that is with term limits. At this point I'd even support paying them only on commission. If they do their job and produce what they promised they get paid.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 5:03 PM on Jan. 5, 2010