How do you deal with a 18 month old throwing tantrums?

I don't know what to do. She has all of a sudden start throwing herself in the floor. No she isnt spoiled and no I do try to punish her. I have tried ignoring her while shes doing it but that does not work either. Please any suggestions will be taken into consideration

tinamswank

Asked by tinamswank at 1:12 PM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sounds like a battle of wills. When my 2 1/2 year old started, I ignored him all together. Went in the other room, no contact what so ever. It is the attention they want. Don't look at her, don't talk to her... nothing.
    Second option is to place her in a corner and again, no communication at all until she stops. Then no coddling afterwards.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 1:18 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Ignore it and redirect her to something else. This is very normal. She's frustrated.
    Anonymous

• I think it is natural. You need to let her have a little independence, but still show her you're mom. I ignore mine when she throws them for no reason.
    Anonymous

• If it gets to the point where you can't ignore it anymore then throw one yourself! I'm talking stomping the floor, rolling around pounding it, crying, etc. It will get her attention quick and pretty soon they think it's funny and stop.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 1:42 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I had a rule for my first.... tantrums and fits were ok, they just had to be done in his room. When he started with a fit I said something to the effect of "I know you are frustrated, and that's ok but if you want to act like this you have do it in your room" He got to the point that he would actually go to his room on his own when he needed to. He got it out of his system without being too disruptive. Children don't have the same coping mechanisms that we do for anger or frustration so they have fits. As adults we realize that not having an outlet for frustrations is not good. In the case of a child, the fit or tantrum is the outlet but often adults try to stop that outlet. Let her have her tantrum, just be sure to reinforce that it isn't allowed anywhere but her own room. If she comes out still tantruming, put her back if you need to until she is finished. Good Luck
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 3:16 PM on Jan. 5, 2010