Why do I have to be a SINGLE mom? Why can't I just be a MOM?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:19 PM on Jan. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• Same reason if you stay home with your kids your not just a mom you are a stay at home mom.
    People like titles. IDK why but they do.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 1:21 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Because unfortunately, there are people in the world who define you by your family status. It sucks, but that's how it is.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 1:21 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• That's a really good question! I guess there are labels made for people that don't quite fall into the way things are "supposed to be" in mainstream society. It's stupid, you would think that society has evolved a little bit being that it is now 2010 and all, but apparently it hasn't. If you want to just be a mom, than only refer to yourself as such. If someone else slaps the label on you, slap a label on them and see how they like it!
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 1:26 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I think it is because in most people's minds, the "normal" home is a two-parent family with both a mom and a dad present who are both actively involved in the lives of the children and of each other. Saying "single mom" or "single dad" simply indicates that this is not the case. I don't think it is a label, just a distinction.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:34 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I think single mom is an infinitely harder job and you deserve kudos for being able to do it!! When I was a single mom I proudly told people that's what I was. I don't think anyone is trying to put you down in anyway - if you don't want to be called single mom, then just call yourself a mom

Answer by missanc at 1:37 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I get tired of hearing about single moms. Its like I am not as good of a mom as they are because I am married. I am not saying that ALL single moms are this way but I get tired of hearing it because USUALLY when I hear it, it is some woman trying to get something given to her, be it money, clothes, food, respect, etc etc.
    Anonymous

• I part of me says that many single moms perfer the title becuase they want people to know how hard they have it. I know not all moms are like that, but some really do like the attention the different titles bring. I perfer the moms's who are just moms: doing what they can to take care of their kids as best they can.
    Anonymous

• I don't introduce myself as a Single Mother, aside from on sites like this, when it's relevant. I don't like it when people assume I have another person to help out in my household when I don't so when I'm asking for advice on handling my toddler in the store, stating that I'm a single parent will hopefully eliminate a bunch of replies saying "go when your husband is home and can keep him". Other than that, I identify myself as a mother, the same as most women with children.

AMsMommy212

Answer by AMsMommy212 at 2:55 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I am anon 243, AMsMommy212 you and the single mothers like you are the ones that I respect and have no problem with.
    Anonymous

• I would say whether or not you're married or single you are 'just a mom' like any other person that has a child. The only time I can think it pertinent to let others know whether or not you're married or single is when you're filling out tax forms or applying for assistance. If you want to get technical we are all a single mom with exception to lesbian couples then we’d be one of two moms or a step-mom which would make us one of two moms. My mom who was a single parent never talked about it, so unless the person knew her personally it was not known; I'm a married parent and unless a person knows me personally I do not share my marital status with strangers.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 4:22 PM on Jan. 5, 2010