Any one have any experaince with Unitarian Universalist Church?

I am looking to visit the big one in Columbus Ohio. What are others experiences with them?

ceciandrew

Asked by ceciandrew at 1:23 PM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• The one I attended seemed to be filled with former christians who had a lot of fun bashing christianity. It bothered me. People in general were rude to me because I had an infant at the time. An infant who was sleeping, by the way. Just like any organization, though, my experience may not necessarily be the one you will have. Plus, I am sure each church is different and has it's own personality.
    Anonymous

• I make jewelry and do craft shows. My last one was at a UU church. They were the nicest, most welcoming group I've met yet. The people I met were really go with the flow and "let and let live." One woman even joked that most of the prayers were "'To Whom it May Concern" (as opposed to G-d, Allah, Jesus, etc…)
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 2:26 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Wonderful! Positive! Open! Accepting! (But, unfortunately, on the other side of town.)
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 3:03 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Same experience as the first poster, unfortunately. Some people were nice but most were unfriendly and rude at the 2 my husband and I used to attend (I'm Christian, he's atheist)... well, there was a lot of Christian bashing. For a church that preaches openness, as one with liberal Christian beliefs, I felt bashed much of the time. Not to mention having 3 children was another downer for them. We were constantly asked when are we going to stop overpopulating the planet. What??? How many kids we have is no one's business but ours. And when we tried to keep our youngest in service with us (instead of in the teeny, tiny nursery - REALLY small), we had a woman behind us say "I can't hear over that child!" I have no hearing in 1 ear and I could hear the speaker just fine. She was just being a turd, but that was the sentiment of many in the congregation. I've not had a good experience with UU churches.
    Anonymous

• I attend a UU fellowship and have visited other UU's as well. I have found them to be very open and welcoming of visitors and new members. Each fellowship I've been with has had it's different flavors. Some are strongly Christian, or Humanist, and even New Agey flavored. It really depends on the local area. For being openly Pagan, it has been really neat to see a community accept someone coming in with a very different perspective. As to those who have had unpleasant experiences with a UU fellowship, please know that it is not what UU strives for nor is it what UU stands for. UU principles were not showing through in those examples. Please know that you can still take your concerns to the pastor to those fellowships so that they know that they have failed in upholding the dignity of their fellow human being and have a chance to grow from your experiences.

isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 10:52 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• But in the larger churches, I have found it extremely easy to get lost within the congregations. Some of the churches, and UU as a whole is embracing the small group ministry programs which helps build that feeling of community. This can be a great starting point once you are comfortable within the larger fellowship, if your church is participating. If you haven't already, check out uuworld.org to read more about what's going on in the greater fellowship of UU's.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 10:57 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I used to work with a guy who was UU and he once said something to me in regard to my religion that came off as "well if that is what you need to believe." Basically calling my religion a crutch.  I liked him okay before that.  But after that YUCK.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:17 AM on Jan. 7, 2010