Do you know what the early entry into Kindergarten tests are?

We are having some trouble with my stepson's mom over this issue.He just turned 4 in Nov.&she has put him on the waiting list for the Catholic school near their house. When we ask her why she wants to do it she avoids the question somehow or by us suggesting have him wait until he is 5 and start when the rules say, she says we are calling him "retarded". We obviously do not but he still has accidents almost everyday at naptime, I do not feel he is emotionally ready for school, and our neighbor who happens to be a kindergarten teacher says he is not ready. I know as his stepmom I have no real say in this but I am hoping he will have to be tested to enter early even into a private school and they will say no. People have made excuses for him as to why he has failed 4 hearing tests since he was born and an independence behavioral test. I was a young kid also so I know the challenges he will face anyway any thoughts on the test?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:37 PM on Jan. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• Actually, by me, in NY he is the right age to start next year. My son turned 4 in September and I have decided to hold him back. He is not ready. But the cut off is December 31.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:51 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Any kid can enter kindergarten as long as they turn 5 before mid December. If your state goes by that rule as well then its fine. I think she should have put him into pre-k last year if she was going to do this! My dd's b-day is the first week of November so she technically started kindergarten at age 4(I live in N.Y. state). She also has no hearing in her left ear and has done remarkably well!!!! Just because that ear doesn't work, the right ear picks up the slack! She is not stupid nor slow; but has some problems catching what is said if it isn't torward the right ear. I understand your concern but he has to face kids whether they're nice, mean, back stabbers, or out to use him at any age in school. We can not protect our loved ones from such cruelty, all we can do is prepare them for it and aid them through it should it occur!!!!! Not everyone's going to like them and there's nothing we can do about it but prepare them!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 2:00 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• You are right lady6280, all we can do is prepare them and hope for the best. He has self esteem issues evident already. He stays wth us for a couple weeks at a time and while dh is at work its me and the kids (I have a 3 year old) so I know him pretty well. It just worries me that is all. He is a kid I care about deeply and there is nothing I can do. My husband argues with her constantly about how he is being raised and the smell of their house it just makes me sad. Anyway, I need to stop whining, sorry. I'm glad to hear your daughter hears well with her other ear, that gives me hope. I'm only remaining anon because the mom is on here and would turn this into drama, thanks for your comments though.
    Anonymous

• In Chicago, the application deadline is today: http://www.cps.edu/Pages/home.aspx

Answer by rkoloms at 9:35 AM on Jan. 6, 2010