Can you mix formula with whole milk?

gagesmama86

Asked by gagesmama86 at 1:38 PM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• NO you should never mix it with anything other than water.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 1:40 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I didnt mean to shout no. I meant No. sorry.
    armywife2009101

• Depends on how old your child is - when my son was 11 months I started mixing the diluted formula with milk so my son could get used to the taste. Ask your ped, but I wouldn't start any earlier than that.

Answer by missanc at 1:41 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Yes, that is how you transition to just whole milk. Mix the formula with water as you usually do, than mix that with milk - 1/4 - 3/4 for a few days, then 1/2 and 1/2, then 3/4 milk - 1/4 formula for a few days - then just whole milk. Don't start until your baby is 1 year.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:48 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• that is what i did when i was moving to whole milk. I would do 7 oz. formula 1 oz. milk...then 6 oz formula 2 oz. milk...then 5 oz. forumla 3 oz. milk and so on.
    NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy

Answer by NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy at 1:52 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• If you mean you want to do part whole milk and part formula (formula mixed in water first) yes, it's fine.
    If you mean to mix formula with the milk... 4 oz milk and a scoop of formula.... well, you could, but it would be a huge amount of calories. They do something similar to this with breastmilk with NICU babies, it's called fortifying. I wouldn't do this without a doctors orders... so no.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:53 PM on Jan. 5, 2010