Home studies?

Would you let your teen 16 go on home studies because he/she can not get their ass up in the morning to go to regular school? We have tried every trick in the book , to big to man handle, truancy department does not care. Or would you let them suffer the consequences of their actions and fail school?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:48 PM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• dont do home studies. it would be a waste of time and money for you and your teen. if they arent motivated now, it will only get worse. when i got pregnant in high school, i went to a program where i did all my own work at my own pace, but being in a class room helped me get it done. i couldnt just sit around my house all day blowing it off. if you have soemthing like that in your area, i would recommend that over home school.
    oldsoulmom

Answer by oldsoulmom at 1:51 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I'd let him suffer the consequences of his actions. I would also stop buying him/her clothing, and take the door off of his room so he has no privacy. I'd take any luxury item he/she owns, including sheets and blankets. I would feed him/her, but not allow snacks or desserts. Or to borrow my car. And let him know that he/she WILL get out of bed in the morning and go to school or the next step is that they are out on their own. It's tough love. And it MUST be done. He/she is being made to comfortable. And has no incentive to do what he/she needs to do.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 1:54 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I would try talking to her to find out if there is a reason *other than lazyness that he/she does not have the motivation to go. Do they have friends? are classes too boring or too hard? ...
    then I would go from there.
    Hinestly thouhg-homeschool is probably not the answer
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:58 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• There is clearly something going on with your child. Make an appointment with the guidance counselor and have a real conversation with your child. Ask some openended questions, and really listen to the answers. Where does he/she see herself/himself in five years? ten years? How does education fit into those plans?

Maybe getting a GED, a job, and taking classes at a community college will be a better option...

Answer by rkoloms at 9:33 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I would not waste my time doing home studies. I would tell him if he wants to quit school then he needs to get a job and get his GED online
    Texan1993

Answer by Texan1993 at 4:01 PM on Jan. 20, 2010