What are feelings about this statement: "We are trying to child-proof the world when we should be World-proofing our Children."?

Also, do you think it's wrong to say, "Hey, you're one, you can no longer have the paci, bottle..etc. Even if it is comforting and soothing. But, god forbid, don't give my child a tiny tap on the hand or tell them no..it might hurt their feelings." Really? That makes no sense to me. I agree whole-heartedly with the statement. What about you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:51 PM on Jan. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• It is a true statement, and it is much more difficult to world-proof one's children.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:53 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• i agree! my gramma-in-law drives me nuts about this kind of thing. she is so protective over MY DAUGHTER-everything is too dangerous for her or its freezing outside-dont let her play in the snow for even 30 seconds! kids are kids, world-proofing is better than child-proofing.
    oldsoulmom

Answer by oldsoulmom at 1:54 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Why do either. Kids grow up. They will see and experience things eventually. Good and bad things of the world. You should safeguard your children. But insulating them from what is happening in the world is stupid. JMO.

Answer by louise2 at 2:01 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I agree with the statement. My daughter has a small exercise trampoline that she plays on. She put a ride on toy on top and tried jumping. I told her to get the toy off the trampoline. So she, in her 2 year old wisdom, decides to ride the toy off the trampoline. I instinctively reached for her, then pulled back and let her fall.  It startled her but she got back up and hasn't put it back on the trampoline yet!  My dad was there and was like, "good job!  real world learning."  I think that's something we as parents will always struggle with.  We want to protect our children, but they must learn by experience, too.  Sometimes, you have to let them get hurt.

Anonymous

• Uh sorry I'm not going to sit and let my children hurt themselves just so they can learn a lesson that they could learn with me sitting down and explaining it to them. You can't control how badly hurt they are going to get, how can you take that risk? That's lazy parenting in my opinion. Instead of sitting her down and explaining it to her you let her hurt herself and save yourself the hassle of having to actually parent your child. And that isn't "world proofing" your child either. My sister in law's cousin is a parent like you. When her demon of a child is rampaging through the kitchen and the stove is hot, she's too lazy to watch him so she says "Oh just let him burn himself, he'll learn". Oh great, so not only does she expect us to sit by and let her son injure himself, then we all have to listen to the poor little thing scream bloody murder. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN IF I AM THERE. Lazy parents...pretty sad.
    Anonymous

• That's rough just to assume that becuase you have family that is a lazy parent, that all parents who are willing to let their children make their own mistakes are bad and lazy parents too. There are some lessons that are better learned through your own actions. No matter how many times you try to tell someone something, it doesn't always stick. There's a difference between putting a childs hand on a hot stove to teach them what hot is and letting them fall a few times. No one benefits from bubble wrapping their kids. And no child (no matter the age) listens or believes their parents 100% of the time. Our job as parents is to find the healthy balance. How many people have learned, time and time again, how bad smoking is. And how many people still start smoking everyday despite this knowledge?
    Anonymous

• I 100% agree with it. It's not my job to protect my children from every potential hurt or injury. It is my job to prepare them to be adults some day and leave the house and my protection. And I agree with the anon who let her daughter fall. I don't stand around waiting to catch my kids every time they might stumble. I let them fall, cry and get themselves back up. I kiss their owies, clean them up if need be and send them on their way. And some kids are just more tactile. Telling them not to do something because they will get hurt is an abstract concept they don't understand. Those kids can be told a thousand times the stove is hot but will still try to touch it. Sometimes they have to get burnt to understand what "hot" is (hopefully not seriously hurt).
    People who bubble wrap and protect their kids from everything are doing a disservice to their children.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:30 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Bit of a mouthful; but I like the idea behind it!

I agree; I will not shelter them from the world but would rather teach them to be strong; independent and self confident enough to feel they can take the world on.
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 4:58 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I'm going to come right out and say: When my son was between one and two, he always wanted to touch my curling iron. I always told him No, told him it would hurt, it was hot, blah, blah, blah. I eventually move on to popping his hand. Finally, I had enough...I watched as he reached his little finger up to the iron and touched it. He immediately pulled back and screamed HOT! I got down to his level, looked him in the eye and told him DO NOT TOUCH it it is HOT. Then I showed him his finger and told him it would hurt him. He never once tried to touch it again. Not lazy on my part. He wasn't going to get mortally wounded from it. He learned a lesson that he would never forget. On his own.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:57 PM on Jan. 6, 2010