How can I get my 18month old to stop screaming everytime I try to get her to go to the bathroom?

Wynetta3

Asked by Wynetta3 at 2:03 PM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Stop trying. She's too young!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:04 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Stop trying until she is old enough. 18 months is too young for most kids. And especially if she is screaming...it's way to early.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:04 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• She is not ready, let her go when she is. Don't force her or she will be in diapers forever. :)
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 2:08 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I have to agree with the others. 18 months is pretty young to be trying to potty train. Some babies are ready earlier than others but if she's screaming about it then she's not ready. The harder you push the harder she will be to get there.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 2:13 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I agree with the others. It sounds like it's a power struggle or will become one soon. Back off of potty training and try again when she starts showing readiness signs. What we did with DS (at 22 months) is we got him into a routine (when he was ready) of just sitting on the potty when we change his diaper. He is 2 now and has accidentally peed 2x and has learned from it each time. It scared the crap out of him but he now recognizes when he has to go and when he has gone. We are still only sitting on the potty until he shows he's ready for more.
    irishmama1007

Answer by irishmama1007 at 3:06 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Argument cause she is showing all the signs of want to try it she takes her diaper off when wet she tries to pull her pants down when you take her in there she knows what ist is to use the bathroom it is just when I sit her on the toilet she screams I take her off it isn't like I am forcing her to do this I am letting her do it so please don't tell me she is too young
    Wynetta3

Answer by Wynetta3 at 4:08 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Try again in six months.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:06 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Do you have a little potty chair? Sometimes, kiddos are scared of the big toilet, even with a child seat on it. They see stuff go down the hole and never come back and they know they are little enough to fall in! A potty chair might be your answer. I would let my DD carry her potty chair into other rooms, too. (Obviously, it was empty when she carried it, LOL). That way she could sit on her potty without undies on and watch a TV show and it distracted her just enough that it happened "accidentally" at first. Then she realized she could control it and it didn't take long after that!
    Also, just because she is mimicking what she sees you do in the bathroom (pull her pants down in there) doesn't mean that is a sign of readiness, it just means she knows what other people do in there and she is mimicking it.

Even if she is ready, there is no harm in waiting a couple of months. She'll just be more ready by then!
    Pieta0227

Answer by Pieta0227 at 10:04 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Again I am not pushing her and I just found out yesterday that she loves trying to go on the potty chair it is just the toilet thanx everyone for your coments I will just let her go at her own pace like I started to do in the first place
    Wynetta3

Answer by Wynetta3 at 2:27 PM on Jan. 6, 2010