Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cheating Police Officer

One of my close cousins found out recently that her husband, an officer in the state of Florida has been cheating on her for some time now. When she had confronted him, he proceeded to remove every penny from their joint bank account and removed her name from all credit cards. She's now left with $1 in her pocket, no friends, and a bad reputation with the police dept since he had bad mouthed her. She has an appointment to see a lawyer but is worried about how she'll go about paying for it. Is anyone firmiliar with laws in the state of Florida, and regaring children. How is she suppose to live with no money, and yes that was her money too, she works. She doesn't need a restraining Order since he's never hit her, only verbally abused her which I doubt they have a law about that. Help me help her.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:14 PM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Relationships

Answers (5)
  • If she files for divorce then he will have to pay child support, also since that was a joint bank account he will be ordered to place some if not all of the money back. He will more than likely be made to pay her lawyer fees. Thats how they do it in NC, im sure they dont differ that much in other states.

    Answer by armywife2009101 at 2:23 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

  • thats crazy, theres a police officer in our town that got a 16 year old girl pregnant.. and then ditched her..

    but i had a coworker, her husband was in the military. im sure he would have done the exact same thing, but she had proof... and with that, she turned out okay. i think he was going to fight her on it, &even tho its almost like blackmail... shes gota do what she can to protect herself. Talking to a lawyer is definetly necessary, but if i were her i would look into getting some proof, if they share a phone contract, witnesses, whatever it is.. and if he doesnt want to kill his repuation in law enforcement, maybe he'll just do whats right instead of causing more problems for both in the long run.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:24 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

  • Good luck to her. Depending on the city and his relationship with various judges....the men in blue stick together and judges hate to piss cops off. She'll be lucky to keep her kids.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:32 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

  • ok how did he take the money out? check, atm card? cause she can go to the bank and get a statement that shows he with drew the money eaither sined check or atm card # that will at least show he did this. also if she goes to a lawyer then she can also have it put in that he is to pay the layer fees. and she will get child suport but she has to go to court to apply for it. to bad she dosent have a tape recorder or a vidio camra least she could tape it like her asking him why did u do this that was my money too and what am i supose to do and if he replay with jerk comment least its on tape and he proves he did it with his own words. tell her to go to a divorce layer and get a free consaltation and do what they say..good luck to her. in the mean time tell her to follow all rules including traffic rules so she dosent get pulled over from one of his friends. and ticketd or arrested for something she didnt do.

    Answer by tabbys4 at 2:33 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

  • she needs to find a lawyer that will help her and go after him for the money, it can be ordered that he pay her legal fees, she needs to ask to see the agreements for the joint banking account i know some accounts (joint) require both parties to close the account, if you are removing all the money thats closing the account. You can not take large sums of money out of the atm, so he had to have written a check or gone straight to the bank to get the money, if she is working then yes she will struggle but atleast she wont be without ANYTHING in the mean time, she needs to file for child support NOW do not wait! it can be retro acted to the date she filed

    Answer by mommie2twogirls at 4:49 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.