Throwing food on the floor

My son is 2 1/2 years old and ever since he's started feeding himself, he throw the food off the tray onto the floor. I have tried making him pick it up himself, I've spanked him for it, explained why I don't want him doing it. What else can I do to make this stop? He's ruining the carpet from spaghetti and mesy stuff like that. He also spits his drinks out and will spray it all over the place. I've withheld dessert for him while I allowed his brother to have it and explained why my oldest got dessert and he didn't. Nothing stops this!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:20 PM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If he throws or intentially dumps something, the meal is over. Calmly take all food away from him. Tell him if he throws food, he's all done. If you don't think he's had enough, give him some time then try again. At this age, missing a meal won't hurt and he'll get the idea. I agree that adding something under the chair to avoid the carpet stains will help in the meantime. You might also try giving only a little food at a time to limit
    Anonymous

• They make something called a "splat mat" that you can put under their chair to catch messes like that. As silly as this sounds, you may just have to ignore it. It sounds like he might enjoy the reaction it gets so he does it because you react. If you stop reacting then he will likely stop doing it. Give him his food and if it ends up in the floor, too bad, he doesn't get more till next snack time. Also, while doing this you might limit the messy foods and give stuff that is easier to clean up. As for the drink, give it to him and if he spits it out tell him that you won't allow it and take the drink. If you take it every time he will learn that if he wants to drink it he has to have the right manners..
    Anonymous

• I would get a mat for under his chair to prevent messes, or an extra piece of carpet (this is what my mom did). My son is 14 months and knows if he throws food on the floor, mealtime is over. It didn't take too many times of me taking out of his highchair for him to figure it out.

Answer by missanc at 4:02 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• laying plastic under the chair can protect your carpet. Hydrogen peroxide might get tough stains out. I hated having carpet in my dining area!!!! We have tile now. my twins are 21 months. their trays have two circles for cups. 1/2 the time my big food thrower will put his unwanted food in the circle. That was as good as we could do...also as soon as he says he is done we take his tray away immediately!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 4:10 PM on Jan. 5, 2010