I want my baby girl to have break milk but am preferring to pump rather than breast feed. Will my baby have to start out with the breast at the hospital or will they let me use my pump? first time mom so please no bashing

fenska87

Asked by fenska87 at 2:30 PM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• They will let you use your pump
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 2:32 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• It's your baby, your breast., your rules. They can't make you do something you don't want to do. Just tell them you want to pump

Answer by admckenzie at 2:32 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Why make a decision before you even try it? You might be really good at nursing. It's much easier to nurse, than to pump and then bottle feed. It will take 2x as long. I don't think you can pump at the hospital - take advantage of the lactation consultants while there. They will help you. Good luck.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:33 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• They will allow you to pump. Check with them though. You may not need to bring it. They may provide you with one. Keep in mind that a baby is more efficient than any pump. It may serve you well to at least do a few months on the breast if you are willing/can. If you are concerned about how you feel about putting your baby to the breast I highly suggest you try it even if it's just once. I truly thought I would hate breast feeding. I don't like my breast to be touched and the thought of a babies mouth on them sounded awful to me! I was shocked that I loved every min of it. You of course need to do what you think is best but I really hope you will at least try it once. You may surprise yourself to.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:33 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• i know when i had my first child, he wouldnt latch on at all so i did a lot of pumping. i think you should be ok with your choice of pumping.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 2:33 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• The hospital should let you use a pump and then you can buy/rent one. From my experience, feeding from the breast would be way easier!! I spent the first 8 months of my dd's life pumping and serilizing and bagging and freezing and thawing, etc, etc. But its your choice! Good Luck
    Anonymous

• You should be able to pump. Lots of hospitals provide one for you that you can rent after you leave.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 2:35 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• They will probably let you pump. The best way to find out will be calling the hospital and asking.

Try not to set your mind completely against breastfeeding with your breast before you try it! I thought the best part of breast feeding is that it's super convienent. No bottles to wash, always the right temp. and on tap, and ready to go!
    Anonymous

• You can pump, however if they determine baby isn't getting enough they will give formula. make sure you know whether or not they do this. Baby is the best pump out there and it's just my opinion you should try to actually breastfeed rather than pumping. No bottles to warm. BUT your choice no pressure. Keep in mind that breast milk should never be warmed in a microwave because it destroys vital nutrients that baby needs. Good Luck mama!!
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 2:40 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Definitely give bfing a try if you want her to have breast milk, pumping is a huge pain in the ass. Bfing, after the first few weeks is so easy.
    Anonymous