C-SPAN Challenges Congress to Open Health Care Talks to TV Coverage

C-SPAN CEO Brian Lamb wrote to leaders in the House and Senate Dec. 30 urging them to open "all important negotiations, including any conference committee meetings," to televised coverage on his network.

"The C-SPAN networks will commit the necessary resources to covering all of the sessions LIVE and in their entirety," he wrote.

Congressional leaders, however, reportedly are expected to bypass the traditional conference committee process, in which lawmakers from both parties and chambers meet to reconcile differences between the House and Senate versions of a bill. Instead, The Associated Press reports that top Democrats at the House, Senate and White House will figure out the final product in three-way talks before sending it back to both chambers for a final vote.
See...now hereis ANOTHER Obama campaign pledge that I REALLY thought was a GREAT idea.....too bad its ANOTHER one he isnt planning on keeping.

momof030404

Asked by momof030404 at 2:40 PM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• What do YOU think? CSPAN a good idea?
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 2:40 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• YES. I would like this to be on CSPAN. It would be nice if people could actually see the workings of our government.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 2:44 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I think so TOO!!!! I think its REALLY crappy that they arent going through regular Bipartisan committees!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 2:46 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I think they should have done it from the beginning like Obama promised. But, we all know how his promises work.

Legislation as important as this should be completely transparent.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 2:49 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I think its a GREAT idea! I think THE PEOPLE should demand it and KEEP it as LAW! Let US see how EVERYTHING is done

and it WAS a campaign promise...what better time???

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 2:50 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

There are no more bipartisan committees, Graham got censured TWICE just for trying to work with the other side..that sends a clear message..

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 2:51 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• WRONG when EITHER side does it! This man was voted in because he was supposed to bring CHANGE and he ISNT.ALL of this stupid crap from ALL sides needs to STOP!
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 3:03 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 3:20 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Is CSPAN a good idea? For us - yes. For government - I don't think so. I am not holding my breath on this one. It's pretty clear that Obama, Reid and Pelosi were blowing smoke when they promised an ethical congress (like that will ever happen) and transparency.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:35 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I think its a great idea if people would actually watch it. The problem is I dont think it matters if we watch or not because even though most of the country doesnt even want this theyll pass it anyway because they dont care what we want, and wont care whose watching.

Answer by gemgem at 3:48 PM on Jan. 5, 2010