What does it mean to have a long, soft uterus?

I am 36 weeks pregnant and when I go in for my appt. my doctor tells me that my uterus is still long and soft. I am not exactly sure what that mean. Can anyone help me.

momofbigbabies

Asked by momofbigbabies at 2:41 PM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• he probably meant your cervix is long and soft. meaning that you are not effaced but you are soft.

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/labornbirth/effacement.html

"Effacement is the process by which the cervix prepares for delivery. After the baby has engaged in the pelvis, it gradually drops closer to the cervix; the cervix gradually softens, shortens and becomes thinner."

you can always ask your doc to explain things to you. :)
    Anonymous

• oh btw it is totally normal not to be effaced at all at 36 weeks. at my 40 week appt i wasn't effaced or thinned, and my son was born at 41 weeks.
    Anonymous

• oh and the cervix is the opening of the uterus so i'm almost certain that's what he meant.
    Anonymous