Looking for suggestions on how to get through days (and nights) raising 3 kids (6, 3 and 9 mos.) with serious sleep deprivation.

I can't get the baby to sleep thru the night - (let alone 2 hours straight.) With two naps a day, she can never seem to get to sleep on her own. We've done some sleep training (lettering her cry) a few times now, but then she gets a cold or another tooth and we have to start all over. Every little thing sets her off. She has had one cold after another (I guess due to 2 older school age children) and letting her cry makes her even more congested. I run up and down the stairs many times a day trying to get her to sleep while my 3 yr. old is waiting for me. I'm so tired, feel like things will never get easier and am definitely on the verge of depression, if not there already.

Any tips that moms with more than 1 child have on how to keep up with life (and keep the others sleeping while 1 child is screaming) while I'm feeling so horrible would be GREATLY appreciated. Sorry for rambling. I am DESPARATE!

Kirby_Mama

Asked by Kirby_Mama at 2:43 PM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've got a 4 y/o and 9 month old. The 4 y/o sleeps though anything (thankfully!)... but I run into issues because sometimes the baby wakes up while I'm getting his brother to sleep (and DH is no help).

I just know that it will pass... The baby wakes up 2-3 times between his bedtime and mine (8-11) and I just go in, lay down with him and nurse him back to sleep. Naps, I also nurse him to sleep and he's pretty good at sleeping an hour or two after that.

Do you co-sleep? That will help you to at least get sleep at night... for naps, if it's really that much of a disturbance, I would consider getting a wrap or soft structured carrier and wearing baby on your back for naps. He can sleep and you can do what needs done.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 3:08 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Runnning around trying to get her to sleep will exhaust you in itself. Now, granted I have only one (unless you want to count DH, who is worse than TEN kids)...but I was working 60+ hours a week too so I knw a thing or two about the sleep deprivation.

Instead of working so hard to try to get her to sleep...lket her go to sleep on her own in a safe place where YOU are during the day. Might be she never naps. MIght be she starts regularly conking out at a time you never thought she would...go with it. More sleep is lost by parents trying to enforce sleep habits than would be if they just kept an eye on their baby's patterns. ALL of them have unique sleep patterns and when you go with them...sleep becomes a non-issue.

Also...drop that which is not needed for survival, in order to get down time. Yeah, that means housework. The house will still be standing.

Hang in there! You'll get through this!

Answer by gdiamante at 3:43 PM on Jan. 5, 2010