My SO is throwing up blood and what looks like coffee grounds?

What could cause this, I am really worried about him but he is refusing to go to the doctor. Someone HELP!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:15 PM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Health

• The coffee grounds is partially digested blood. If he's been retching really hard, like from a stomach virus, this could be causing it, but you need to get him to a dr ASAP.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 3:17 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• throwing up blood

TAKE HIM TO THE ER!
    Tell him to get over it he is going
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 3:18 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I'm with Mrs.Owen86. It could be an ulcer or something more serious. But blood is not a good sign.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 3:18 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• The "coffee grounds" happens to be digested blood. It could be caused by many different things and some of them could be life threatening. Please take your SO to the nearest doctor.
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 3:20 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• If he won't go, call 911. That could be life threatening and he is in no position to refuse.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 3:24 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I agree with the calling 911 if he's refusing to go to the ER. Throwing up blood and the "coffee grounds" always warrents a trip to the ER.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:31 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I agree with the other ladies! My sister refused to go to the Er when she had the same symptoms and finally after two days we bullied her into it and it turns out she has ulcerative colitis and was having the worst flare up her doc had ever seen. Because she waited so long it was much harder to treat and she ended up out of work for six weeks because she was too sick.
    Please if he refuses call 911 and they will take him there.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 3:41 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Could be an upper GI bleed also.. DONT MESS AROUND WITH THIS.. Take him to the DR.
    maybebaby83

Answer by maybebaby83 at 5:00 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Please let us know what happened. I have been thinking about this all afternoon!
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 5:53 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Yes, the coffee grounds stuff is digested blood. I had to send my DH on an ambulance once after he had specifically asked me not to. Don't worry - he'll get over it. You're just looking out for his safety.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 12:12 AM on Jan. 6, 2010