carseat question!

I drive a 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse. My son's carseat is the Cosco Scenera. I have him FF right now (he's 22 months & 30 lbs), but I want to ERF him. It seems impossible to get the carseat to fit in the backseat. For it to be in there properly, I can't get him in and out because 1)it's a 2 door car 2)the backseat is rediculously small and tight and 3) he's a big boy (I'm only 4'11 and weigh 86lbs so he's pretty big for me to get in and out lol). The car seat is just so big and pretty much covers the whole area. I can't put him in the middle of the 2 bigger seats because theres no seatbelt and it is just a little bump thing and not a full seat. It is not possible for me to get another car for atleast a few more years so that is not an option. I also can not afford another carseat for a while either. Should I just keep him FF or do you have any suggestions on how to ERF in my car?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:32 PM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Call your local fire department and see if they have a car seat safety expert. If they don't they should be able to refer you to one. Make an appointment and go and see them. Ask if they can get the seat rear facing safely. If it's possible they should be able to install it for you.

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 3:35 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Correct me if I am wrong but you want him to face the rear of the car?
    afisk

Answer by afisk at 3:36 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• They face toward the rear until a baby is 20 to 35 pounds (10 to 16 kilograms) and at least 1 year old and can be turned to face forward after that. I owned an Eclipse so I know exactly what you are talking about. They do not accept car seats very well. Your child however is old enough and weighs enough to face forward.
    afisk

Answer by afisk at 3:40 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• To Afisk: Yes, she does. he is still small enough neck strength wise to suffer an internal decapitation from even a small fenderbender.
    Anonymous

• Wow.. way to make someone fell better.
    afisk

Answer by afisk at 3:46 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Afisk: her child does meet the minimum requirements, but it is safer to keep a child rear facing for as long as possible. Here is some info about why people choose extended rear facing:

http://www.car-safety.org/rearface.html

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 4:06 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I would just stay with forward facing with him being 22 months. It makes it easier on you also to see whats going on with him, but that's my opinion
    Zacherysmommy08

Answer by Zacherysmommy08 at 4:51 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I would keep him forward facing too! Plus for as small as your car is and as big as your child is (which isn't that big) but he would be all cramped up and stuff rear facing and have no where to put his legs & feet and I don't understand why people think that that is safer than front facing. Your child all scrunched up esp. in a small car has got to be more dangerous in a rear end collision than if he were forward facing.
    slynnb

Answer by slynnb at 5:15 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Hi I'm the OP. Thanks for you answers. I am going to go to the police dept. tomorrow and see what they can do for me. I like having him FF so I can see what he's doing and everything, but I just think I would feel better about driving if he was ERF. I saw a video and it made me scared for him being FF. lol. I wish he was still able to be in an infant seat. It was so much easier to put in the car!! Ohhh counting down the days until I can afford another car payment (I just paid it off 2 months ago lol)
    Anonymous

• Good decision on ERF'ing! Im so glad to see so many moms finally understanding that safety is more important than conveniece... Go to safekids.org and you can locate a Car seat safety technician for you to help you install it if you cant find one at the fire dept or police station. In fact, I would go through safe kids before I would the Police station, they are SOOOO outdated on everything...
    Slynnb-moms choose to do that because it is proven to be 5X safer than forward facing, its not a trend, its a fact! Yes, his legs may be scrunched up, but most kids dont find it uncomfortable. Yes, his legs COULD break during a collision, and please note that there is no reported cases of that EVER happening, but his legs are much easier to fix than a broken neck, which usually results in death or paralysis.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 7:21 PM on Jan. 5, 2010