is it ok to feed my bby jarred bby food(vegetables)

she will be 4mnths on the 27th

momatonly16

Asked by momatonly16 at 3:49 PM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My sons doctor told me not to start the jared foods till 6 months old. You can start on the infant cereal. But do not put it in a bottle. If she is old enough to eat baby food then she is old enough to use a spoon to eat it.
    Anonymous

• weird my doctor told me to put her creal in her bottle
    momatonly16

Answer by momatonly16 at 3:52 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• If formula fed, you can start solids...mashedveggies or banana. I wouldn't spend the money on jarred stuff...it's no better than what you can cook for yourself and then mash.

If you're breastfeeding, SIX months.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:52 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I would wait a little longer. Her tummy probably cant handle it yet, and you will have a pretty fussy one on your hands....When you start solids, its a good idea to start with something very bland; rice cereal is the most popular choice.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 3:53 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Cereal in the bottle is a choking risk. Doctors are sadly often poor resources for nutritional information...they get most of their training in this from the marketing departments of infant food manufacturers, NOT from med school. So their info isn't exactly unbiased.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:54 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I gave mine bananas (step 1) when she was almost four months. She did fine with them. Bananas are still her favorite fruit! At her 4 month check up, her doctor said to start her on veggies at 5 months.
    Good luck!
    bduckett0723

Answer by bduckett0723 at 3:54 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• ok so do u guys think i shold wait till sshe 4mnths to try the veggies or longer?
    momatonly16

Answer by momatonly16 at 3:58 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I would start by giving her a tablespoon or two of rice cereal. When she gets the hang of eating that, usually about 2 weeks, then try another single grain cereal. If she doesn't like the plain taste, you can try mashed up bananas mixed with it. That usually helps. You will know when she's ready to start the first foods. Since every baby is different, it would be impossible for me to give you my exact opinion about exactly when to start. Just remember to give about 4 days in between each new food so that if there's an allergic reaction to anything you will be able to tell what is causing it. With breastfed babies, it's best to wait until 6 months for solids (but, like I said, every baby is different) I think one of the biggest reasons here is that breastfed babies take longer to lose the tongue-thrust relflex in my experiences. Good luck! :)
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 4:07 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I started my little one on cereal per the dr's suggestion. When she was 6 months, we started veggies but at a slow pace to ensure she did not have an allergic reaction. The best indication as to whether or not she is ready for "solid" food is if she's interested in your food.

Cereal in the bottle is kinda an old wives' tale. They say it will help your baby sleep better, but it's just one more thing to wean them off of. I tried it a couple of times, but it never worked. It just frustrated her.
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 4:07 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Have you tried her on fruits yet? Personally I would wait, but use your mommy knowledge. You know your baby better than anyone else. :)
    bduckett0723

Answer by bduckett0723 at 4:08 PM on Jan. 5, 2010