Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How can I get patent for a series of greeting cards I want to start without $$?

I looked into it and it looks like it may cost a couple of thousand to get the patent, lawyer, etc. I don't have that kind of money to invest. I checked Hallmark and American Greetings and they aren't accepting suggestions. I don't want to just start making and selling the cards without a patent. By doing so I think someone with $$ may take my ideas and run with. I'm not looking to do this full time. I would be willing to give the test cards to them and just be paid royalties as they sell. The manufacturer can make up whatever poems or verses they want. I just want to be able to get the idea out there.


Asked by Anonymous at 4:08 PM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Money & Work

This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • You can't get a patent on a greeting card - because you didn't INVENT the greeting card. You can, however, get a copywright on your greeting card designs. If your cards are entirely self-created, you have the option of registering a copyright. Registration is voluntary: Copyright is automatic under U.S. law, and your work is inherently protected the moment it is created and put in tangible form. Check out this link for more information:


    Answer by 5BabyBees at 7:55 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

  • People used to mail themselves a certified copy of their art in order to prove they were the original owner. Whether or not this will stand up in court, I do not know. You can trademark your design, but even if you do it yourself, there is a fee to register a trademark with the U.S. government.

    Answer by lvpenguino at 9:10 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

  • Patents always cost money. But I'm not sure what you want is a patent because patents are for inventions and innovations something we have. Another thing you can get is a trade mark. for like slogans or saying. My DH did that. Or a design patent? But again the rules on it are long and you'd have to see if what you have is something that will qualify. The website 5 baby gave you is where you should go to find the information you need. That is where we went.


    Answer by SylviaNCali at 3:33 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

  • Sorry but it takes money to make money, doesn't have to be your money but it's going to cost money. Even those so-called free invention kits you have to pay for production or manufacturing and other costs in the long run. Here's a way to get the funds you need

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:30 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

  • Thanks. I misunderstood patents. So it's a copyright that's needed. I appreciate it.


    Answer by Anonymous at 2:32 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

Next question in Money & Work
Work at Home Mom

Next question overall (Pregnancy)