Have you ever asked anyone about the safety specs of their vehicle before you let your child ride with them?

There was a homeschool skating activity this afternoon, and my friend's son, who is friends with my oldest son, wanted to go, but she didn't have a car, so she called this morning to ask if we could give him a ride.I said yes, and then she said that her husband wanted her to ask how much room there was between the back seat of our van, and the hatch door, because he is very safety conscious and was concerned that if "I" was sitting in the back and we got rear-ended, he would be hurt! I have NEVER had anyone ask me the safety specs of our vehicle before, and I've been driving kids of all ages around for quite a few years now. We just got this minivan in November, it's new to us ( 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan) and we're thrilled to have it because our old van was completely falling apart. No, it's not as safe and reliable as a Honda Odyssey, but we can't afford that. We got what we could afford. The only time I've ever been "cont

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:12 PM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• cont' really concerned about my children riding in a vehicle is when they were babies and of course I wanted to make sure they had a carseat and it was properly installed. Of course, I don't want my children riding with someone who has a history of lots of accidents or speeding, but I've never questioned the safety ratings of someone's vehicle!! Am I too laid back or is he overly paranoid?
    Anonymous

• I'm pretty over-protective (or so I've been told) but I've never actually asked about the safety ratings of someone's vehicle. I have asked if there were enough seat belts, and I don't let my kids ride with people I know have a lot of accidents. My kids are older, and I have asked teen drivers how long they've been driving, if they've had any accidents or tickets, how many kids will be in the car.....those kinds of things.......
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 4:17 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• That is incredible! I'm overprotective, but that is off the chain!!!!
    Anonymous

• It's not you. And if it makes you feel better my wacky SIL informed that she has NEVER let her children (aged 6, 4 and 1) ride in a nother person's car. The ONLY people who have ever driven them anywhere are their moms. Not even grandparents or aunts/uncles! If they can't drive, the kids don't go. It's freaking pathological, I swear. She has issues...lol.
    Anonymous

• wow. I don't even know the safety specs of my car. Dad there needs to learn to trust and let go.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:41 AM on Jan. 7, 2010