is it bad to have at least one caffeine drink a day?

i know that u cant have a lot of caffeine when u r having a baby but it seems like if i dont have at least one a day i get a headache. is that normal? i dont want to hurt my baby but i dont like headaches either? am i doing something wrong to her by drink caffeine?

shannonsmom555

Asked by shannonsmom555 at 4:13 PM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• a coffee or soda shouldnt hurt you. I drank soda and coffee with both my pregnancies and was fine....just be sure the coffee isnt too strong LOL the baby will start doing jumping jacks on your bladder!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• The reason you are having headaches is from caffeine withdrawal. It's a drug and has it's own side effects. If you can get through a couple days of it, it will go away as your body gets used to not having caffeine. That said, it's not "bad" to have one drink a day, my dr said it was fine - but there are better drinks and since most caffeinated drinks are a diuretic you need to make sure you are making up for that drink with extra fluids.

Answer by missanc at 4:15 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• a lot of people who are addicted to caffeine get headaches if they don't have it. you would have to wean yourself off of it and go through a sort-of withdrawal.

i don't really think caffeine is good so i try to avoid it but "experts" also say that one a day is ok. i just imagine the effect of the caffeine on the tiny little baby anytime i drink it and that helps me avoid it. also if it's a sugary drink, that's not "good" for you either. lol. but neither are the cookies i ate last night!
    Anonymous

• I know how you feel...I'm a mountain dew addict. I cut back to caffeine free when I was pregnant, but I would still drink one regular one so I wouldn't get the headaches, and I would get really grouchy...
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 4:20 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• i have not cut back on my drinks...i still have two or three glasses of drinks with caffeine a day..i tried cutting back to just juice but its just as bad with sugars..i guess its all in the eye of the beholder..my dr has never said anything to me about caffeine drinks good luck
    Anonymous

• you will be fine. one a day is perfectly acceptable. they worry about it most in the first trimester because lots of caffiene increases the risk of miscarriage. dont go over board, but one is fine.
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 6:29 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• while i was prego (LO is now 9 weeks) i had one a day but then my mom showed me the caffiene free coke and pepsi!!! saved me and helped me get caffiene free. try it. if you have too much it can lead to deformities
    Marri357

Answer by Marri357 at 6:34 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• i use to drink caffiene coffee or soda a day when i found out i was pregnant sents i misscarried in June and i didnt want to again i went drinking mostly water but i still have my coffee and if i need soda i have a little of my hubbys so i dont drink alot of soda or i get caffiene free i know it is hard cause i love my coffee sents i found my fav at 7-11 lol
    Anonymous

• All the research I've seen shows no problems with up to 5 servings of caffeine a day. That isn't 5 grande Starbucks, but around 5 8 oz cups of coffee. I stick to one can of soda or other caffeinated beverage, but I don't feel guilty about it.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 9:53 PM on Jan. 5, 2010