Biting phase

My daughter is going through a tough biting phase at 9 months. She has her four top teeth and four bottom teeth. I have marks ALL OVER my shoulder and arms from her little teeth.

We tell her "no biting" in a firm voice - not too tender or not too harsh - per the baby book. I'm noticing a slight difference, but once she gets sleepy and is resting on my shoulder or arm ... CHOMP!!!

Did anyone go through a phase similar to this when their child was so young, or any advice other that what we're doing?

She's not really teething. I think she's just experimenting with her new chompers.

redmoonintexas

Asked by redmoonintexas at 4:13 PM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm not sure of much else you can do with a 9 mo old since they don't understand much. I would maybe lightly touch, point at or gently tap her mouth so that she knows that it is her mouth that's causing you to tell her "no". I just had my 2 year old bite my 4 year old yesterday and drew blood, but he has a better understand of no and is dealt with completely different. I never had issues that young.
    Anonymous