How do I change the family "triangle" dynamic that occurs with me, my husband and my son?

There is a feeling of competition that occurs with us. Any advice on how to handle it and how to change the family dynamic when the three of us are together? I have spoken with my husband about this before.

Janette526

Asked by Janette526 at 3:35 PM on Jun. 25, 2008 in Relationships

• Learn to give in a little, everyone needs to submit to some degree at one time or another. And sons and their fathers always compete so it is especially important with the men!
    upwithbabies

Answer by upwithbabies at 4:05 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• Make sure that when you're disciplining your son, that your husband backs you up... and if your husband says something is OK, you have to give in a little and back him up too. If you're too controlling and DH is too lax (or the other way around) you'll both have to make certain compromises so that both parents are fair, and neither of you look like the bad guy.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 4:14 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• Submit and let go. Be the better one in the end. Lead by example and let bygones be bygones. There should never be competition within the household, save that for times need.
    MissLady620

Answer by MissLady620 at 5:48 PM on Jun. 25, 2008