How do I get my 2 year old to sleep at night?

Actually she fights sleep day and night. At night is becomming worse and worse and is affecting the whole family. Im at a loss here. Its like she has cholic again. She was awake for 3 hours straight last night starting at 1am. Then after 3 hours of up and down up and down, I moved her into our bed with us. She tossed and turned all night, but slept only keeping us up. Then at 6:55am she was awake and ready to start the day. We weren't. Im also having trouble keeping her in her toddler bed instead of sleeping on the floor, this didnt used to be a problem. Im at a complete loss, ready to pull my hair out and I need advice. No one I have talked to have offered any even when I asked.

PrincessLadyBug

Asked by PrincessLadyBug at 5:01 PM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If you can try skipping the nap during the day. Maybe this will help so that she will sleep at night all night. If you feel however that she should have a nap during the day schedule her bedtime later. More activitiy during the day might help. If the weather is not bitter cold, bundle her up and you and her take a walk outside. Try reading her books before bedtime. Hopefully this will allow her to relax before going off to bed. If needed try rocking her to sleep in a rocking chair. The soothing motion may help her to fall asleep faster, however this is something she will get used to..lol. I hope some of these suggestions may help.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 8:34 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Sometimes being overtired can cause a child NOT to sleep. If she's refusing daytime naps try rest time instead. When my son quit napping he still had rest time which consisted of at least an hour on the couch with a blanket, his teddy bear and a SLOW movie ( one with little action and softer themed) The rule was, if he couldn't be fairly still & quiet for that hour, he had to lay down in his room with no movie. Sometimes he fell asleep, sometimes he didn't but he got the down time. The bed: when mine was 2 he got a twin bed because his toddler bed was too small for him to stretch his arms out or roll over much & it was causing sleep problems. That really helped. How long before bed does she eat? What are other things before bed like? We had an hour before bedtime of quiet (low light, loud stuff off) dinner was 2 hours before bed to help prevent night time tummy aches. He still woke up but just about once per night.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 8:38 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• How long before bed does she eat?
    She gets fed dinner anywhere from 5p-6:30p but the normality is 6p. She goes to bed at around 7:30p after her favorite show Kai-lan (now im thinking thats a mistake because she gets all excited and then cries for her Kai-lan night light that she got for xmas and her kai-lan doll. Before xmas when she got the light she wasnt using a night light at all, now she cries untill I turn the things on (THANKS MIL!!! I OWE YOU!) :( I also had her broke from cuppies in bed and somehow, I think when she got her last ear infection it started back up again so now she gets her milk cuppie with her allergy meds in it.

What are other things before bed like?
    Things are normally pretty calm until daddy turns on Kai-lan for her. And to ask about her bed: shes in a toddler bed but shes tall for her age and she does toss and turn alot do you really think thats affecting her?
    PrincessLadyBug

Answer by PrincessLadyBug at 9:18 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Getting excited watching the show b4 bed could definitely contribute to her not wanting to go down easily. My oldest has always been high energy. Bedtime was 8pm but I litterally had 30-60 minutes (depending on how wound up he was) of him hanging out on the couch with the lights turned down low and either light classical or otherwise soothing music. As for the bed, I absolutely really think that could be affecting her. Our son was in a toddler bed at 18 months and I truly had to switch him to a twin at 2 because he didn't have enough room to be comfy in it. That would also explain why she has been in the floor some nights. There is more room down there. With her tossing and turning, odds are good that goes off the edge some or hits the wall (if it's against the wall) which prob wakes her and causes bad sleep in general. It might be worth switching beds and maybe record her show to be watched early the next day?
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 11:13 PM on Jan. 5, 2010