Baking Bread

I'm making my own Wheat Bread...I'm on my 3rd Loaf and I'm thinking something's wrong. I'm using the recipe from my Better Homes & Gardens Cook book. The first loaf hardly proofed at all...so I tried proofing it in an unheated oven with a bowl of hot water under it. It proofed better...but not great & took almost 3 hours. The bread isn't really rising when I bake it either. It comes out of the oven almost exactley the same size and shape as when I put it in the oven.

HELP!

ammil87

Asked by ammil87 at 5:10 PM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Food & Drink

• did you check to see if your yeast was still active?

even if the recipe calls for you to put it in the flour, ALWAYS dissolve it in about a 1/4 c water w/ a tsp of sugar, if it bubbles within 5 min it is still alive.

also.... you may want to add a little honey to the recipe- i know which one you are using, and its a little flat... needs more food for the yeast.
    to proof it, heat your oven to the LOWEST POSSIBLE setting- 100 f if you can, and place a bowl of boiling water on the lower rack, cover dough with a towel and leave oven cracked to proof it in there. it can easily and happily proof @ 130 f without causing the yeast harm (killing it- you know, baking.)

i bake a lot, i mean, a lot. lol if you want bread recipes send me a msg... i have more cook books than i know what to do with, they are the only thing i "collect".
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:20 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Are you letting the yeast work a bit before placing into the oven?
    Anonymous

• Is your yeast old? Did you start your yeast? Is your house cold. It is winter after all. Is this recipe use whole wheat flour and white flour? Usually a mix is best.
    So if your using instant yeast then you need not start it. If you need to start your yeast warm some water or milk (which ever one your using) stir in the yeast and get it foamy. When you mix your flour and yeast together make sure that the liquid is warmish, like a little cooler than baby bath water. Test it on the inside of your wrist. If your house is chilly and you need to get the first rise I would take a glass bowl and grease it. Add your dough into the bowl, put in over a pan of steamy water turn the heat down low, and watch it closely. when you get a good rise out of it shape it into loaves, grease your pan place your bread into the pans. Using the same steamy water place your loaf pans over it again (I use a cookie screen) let it rise to the top..
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 5:20 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• of the laof pan. Pre-heat the oven, when the loaf is to the top of the pan then slide it into the oven. (egg or milk wash the top)
    This should help if not let me know I am a baker. I will be more than happy to help you out.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 5:21 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• If you're using all whole wheat flour, it doesn't rise like a mix would or like white flour would. You can add a tablespoon or more of vital wheat gluten to the flour when you're mixing it and that will help it to rise better and faster.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 5:48 PM on Jan. 5, 2010