36 weeks and SICK!!

I have a horrible cold, not the flu or anything. Just a bad headache, really bad stuffy runny nose and a cough.. I was wondering what you ladies think is safe to take during pregnancy?

NO BASHING *Please don't tell me to call my doctor! Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:11 PM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i dont think you can take any decongestants, unfortunately. you can take robitussin (the regular stuff) for the cough and tylenol fo the headache. other than that there isnt much you can do. maybe try taking a hot shower so the steam can help loosen things up.
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 6:23 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• You could try a Neti Pot for congestion. You really cant take anything other than tylenol and regular robitussin (like the previous poster said) sucks.
    I had a stomach virus last week and couldnt take anything for that either.
    Pregnancy is harsh sometimes.
    redderbedder

Answer by redderbedder at 7:10 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Avoid dairy while you are sick – it can increase the amount of mucus your body produces. Peppermint tea is great! Peppermint is a natural decongestant; just be sure that peppermint is the only ingredient. Honey (antibacterial) and cayenne pepper (anti-inflammatory) is the best cough syrup.throat soother. Emergen-C will help you stay hydrated and give you an energy boost; be sure to mix it with cold water. The lowest price is at Trader Joes, though it is sold just about everywhere (Target, Walgreens, etc.). I am a big believer in the power of foods. This healing foods pyramid from the University of Michigan is great: http://www.med.umich.edu/umim/food-pyramid/index.htm

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 8:35 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Get some Elderberry syrup. The FDA criticized the manufacturer of Tamiflu for "overstatement" of claims of efficacy, since blind studies comparing it to a placebo only resulted in a 1.3 day difference. A study on Sambucol (Elderberry) found a 3-4 day difference in duration of symptoms.
    Most important, stay well hydrated!
    Feel better

Miso soup is my secret weapon in the battle against viruses:
    2 cups veg. broth
    2 cups hot water
    4 Tbsp. miso
    1 tsp. fresh ginger root, grated
    1/2 cup diced firm tofu
    3 Tbsp. thinly sliced scallion greens
    1/2 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
    I have substituted onion for the scallions, and left out the mushrooms. I have also added some thinly sliced chinese cabbage, because I happened to have it.)

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 8:36 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Pour the veg. broth and 1 cup of water into medium saucepan. In separate bowl, dissolve the miso in the remaining 1 cup water. Mix well and add to saucepan. Add the ginger root and mushrooms and heat until simmering (about 5 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in
    the tofu and scallions. (If adding other veg. like onion or cabbage, you'll want to simmer until they are tender before adding tofu.)