What's the point of getting a PAP Smear?

I've been a bit ill lately and I would get headachs so bad that my nose starts to bleed so I called this place for women to see if I can get checked out by them to find out what's going on. They do everything right there for women and they told me that I would need to schedual an appointment to meet the doctor and have a pap smear done then i might have to schedual another apointment to get everything else checked out. I only want to go in to see why my headachs are so bad. I don't care about any of that other stuff so I don't see why I would need to get one. I had one once in my life and that was after my son was born. It's uncomfortable and very irritating. Can someone please explain to me of why this is a "necessary" treatment? Why should I have to go through that just to find out why my headachs are so bad?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:27 PM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Health

• A pap test can save your life. It can find the earliest signs of cervical cancer. If caught early, the chance of curing cervical cancer is very high. Pap tests also can find infections and abnormal cervical cells that can turn into cancer cells. Treatment can prevent most cases of cervical cancer from developing.

Getting regular Pap tests is the best thing you can do to prevent cervical cancer. In fact, regular Pap tests have led to a major decline in the number of cervical cancer cases and deaths.
    Anonymous

• They check to make sure you have no cyst or cancer.
    Anonymous

• Part of women's' health is a pap, alot of women forget that part until something is wrong, by then it(cancer) etc is in a later stage. Early detection is key to prevention. I know they are not comfortable but IT can save your life... If you choose to go there for services, a pap is a great place to start.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:33 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Cancer

Answer by louise2 at 5:39 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Why wouldnt you just call your primary care doctor.. or ANY primary care doctor if you dont want a pap? every women NEEDS a pap Once ayear.. its very important, but im just confused why you were suprised a gyno would want to give you one!
    maybebaby83

Answer by maybebaby83 at 5:42 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I know that ob/gyns give this but I'm going there for primary care. That is another service that this place offers.
    Anonymous

• I get that you are going there for headaches or whatever and would tell them that much...that you do not wish to get a pap done on that day. BUT you need to have one done, not only to help protect yourself from getting cervical cancer, but to detect other diseases. Paps can pick up if a yeast infection is developing, before any of the normal signs. You can also have chlamydia and gonnerrhea tests run from them. Both of those can be 'silent' diseases with no signs or symptoms. Paps can also tell you if you have BV.
    It's your choice to have one done or not, but don't be crying and upset if you ever get cervical cancer when it VERY easily could have been prevented and caught early...
    Anonymous

• Primary care drs. do pap smears as well - not just ob/gyns. They apparently want to do a complete physical on you, which for women includes a pap, so they aren't missing anything and have a baseline for anything else that comes up for sick visits.

Answer by missanc at 7:42 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• You should be getting a papsmear annually.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:28 AM on Jan. 6, 2010