Can a 9 mo old eat eggs?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:28 PM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• scrambled eggs, yes.

Answer by louise2 at 5:36 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• My daughter does all the time. She loves eggs. I don't see the harm.
    sopheeahsmommy

Answer by sopheeahsmommy at 6:58 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• My son loved all types of eggs. Some people say you should hold off on the egg white until they are 1 year old due to allergies, but after doing some research I found that it's not really necessary from what I read. My son started eating scrambled eggs, cheese omelettes, french toast, etc. all around 9 months.

Answer by missanc at 7:08 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Because of the fact that many children tend to be allergic to egg whites, doctors advise that you avoid egg whites altogether for the first year. If there is a family history of food allergy, then it might be worth excluding egg whites from your baby's diet for the first 2 years.
    Well cooked egg yolk, however, can be given to your baby from 6 months of age - although you may want to wait on egg yolk, too, if there is a family history of allergy. The easiest way to separate the yolk from the white is to hard boil the egg, then simply remove the yolk. Alternatively, you can crack a raw egg into two, then tip the yolk back and forth between the shell halves, allowing the white to drain into a cup. However, some traces of egg white may remain and even tiny traces can lead to a severe reaction in an allergic baby.
    Anonymous

• my dr just gave me the ok yesterday at the 9month old baby visit. and it was great news because my mother just asked me about it the other day and i was like we have to wait until after a year. at least i can make her eggs now.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 7:41 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Supposedly they're not supposed to, but mine all did at 8 months - scrambled with cheese, they loved them!
    Anonymous

• Yolks, yes. whites, no. Egg yolks are loaded with brain-building fats and nutrients. The whites are an allergy trigger food and should not be given before baby turns one.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:27 AM on Jan. 6, 2010