Should a school bus driver be in charge of minor disipline on their bus?

Or should it all be handled by the principal? We have a very "hands off" type of bus driver. He ignores the chaos and mayhem going on. And when a child points out a serious problem, he says, "Leaving me alone, I'm driving."

I'm really worried because a little girl in a near-by school district was bitten repeatedly and even had her finger nail bitten off by a fellow student!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:00 PM on Jan. 5, 2010 in

• what do you mean minor?
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:15 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• there is really nothing they could do...there job is to focus on getting the kids home safely and to focus on the road (not on all the chaos that the kids are causing) if the kids are causing so much trouble that its hard for him to drive he should pull over and see what the problem is and if there is a problem like what you are saying he should radio the principal and ask for advice on the situation
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:18 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• They usually report violations but every school district is very different. In catholic bus drivres are so snotty with the staff. Their objective is to get students to school and the rest is at your own child's discretion.
    Anonymous

• I'd call the School Board and ask them. Each District has different policies.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:34 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I wouldn't be a bus driver for a million dollars a year. I cannot imagine supervising all those kids and driving a huge bus. The driver really can't stop to talk to the kids while he's on the road.
    Anonymous

• Yes, a bus driver has to pay attention to what's going on, break up anything, keep kids in their seats, etc, and report problems to the parents/principal. It's part of their duty! That bus driver is not doing his duty and needs to be pulled off his route!
    Anonymous

• I'm anon:35 and I know that stuff because my dad & FIL are both bus drivers - one for high school and one for our gradeschool - I'm not pulling crap out of my behind.
    Anonymous

• Yes, the bus driver should handle minor discipline issues. The driver needs to get the kids home safely and if the bus is filled with chaos and kids biting and hurting each other, then the driver needs to be able to stop and take care of the issue so the children are safe.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:38 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• My son's bus has an aide on it to handle squabbles between the kids so that the driver can pay attention to the road, as he should be doing. Unfortunately, this is not the policy of all school districts, although it should be for the safety of the children.

If you cannot have an aide placed on your child's bus, then yes, the driver should be able to discipline the kids by stopping the bus where it is safe and handle the kids who are causing trouble (move them up front, etc.).
    Anonymous

• Yes they should be. My bus driver would yell at us, stop the bus and not move if we didn't get back into our seats. The kids are their responsiblity while on the bus, so they must be in charge.
    Anonymous