potty training setbacks

My 2 &1/2 yr. old daughter started asking to go on the potty and did great for 2 weeks. then she got sick at Christmas and she's urinating and pooping in her training pants almost all the time. I know I have lost patience on occassion but I really have curbed that. I'm trying to encourage her as much as possible and I give her stickers as a reward, chocolate for poop, but even that incentive has not enticed her to go on the potty again. Peeing, she's doing better with again, but she has not gone poop on the potty since Xmas. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

deniselvt

Asked by deniselvt at 6:11 PM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My opinion is get rid of the rewards. Pooping and peeing are natural things that you are supposed to do. Or just reward with a hug, a high five or a kiss. I also say get rid of the training pants and let her run around naked waist down when you are at home. I am doing this with my son and it works. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• Christmas wasn't that long ago, and she was just doing good for about 2 weeks you said. Give it some time. If she was doing good once then she will again. Try not to stress and don't push the issue. It will work out. (=
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 8:01 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• my son is going throgh potty training right now and everyonce in a wahile he will just refuse to go in the toleit so his reward for using it is on the days he does use the potty he gets to wear underwaer like his papa and his daddy but on days that he wonthe has to wear a diaper
    Anonymous

• I understand that getting sick can interrupt the training process (diarrhea put a quick stop to my daughter's training).

I'm of the opinion that if the kid isn't really catching on after 3-4 days of focused training, then it's best to hang for a month or two and then start fresh again.

A month or two of maturing can make a world of difference in your kids abilities, and your sanity during the training process.
    Anonymous