WHO HAS A CHILD WITH CAPD?

MY SON HAS CAPD I STRUGGLE TO KEEP HIM ON TASK TO DO HIS HOMEWORK AS WELL AS DOING HIS WORK IN CLASS ACCORDING TO HIS TEACHER IT'S SO FRUSTRATING...HE DAYDREAMS ALOT AND WILL NOT WORK SO MY OTHER QUESTION IS HOW DO YOU KEEP THEM ON TASK AND WORKING WITHOUT LOSING WHAT'S LEFT OF YOUR MIND??? i'VE TRIED REWARDS PRAISE IT ALL AND i FEEL LIKE i'M STUCK NOT KNOWING HOW TO HANDLE THE SITUATION IT'S SO HARD TO KEEP BEING PATIENT OVER AND OVER TO KEEP HIM ON TASK i'VE ASKED THE SPEECH THERAPIST AS WELL AS THE RESOURCE FOR IDEAS AND i'VE USED THEM BUT NONE OF IT WORKS i'M STARTING TO THINK THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT THE HELL THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT DO ANY OF YOU MOMS KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS??? pLEASE ANSWER ONLY IF YOU HAVE A CHILD WITH CAPD THANK YOU

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:21 PM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Have you tried seeking help from a learning and behavioral specialist? I struggled with my son for YEARS never knowing it was ADHD. He was diagnosed a few months ago. Once the specialist explained it to my my son was put on medication. Since then he's the same great kid with a much better ability to stay on task with minimal pushing. Don't get me wrong he's still your average frustrating preteen but he seems so much happier and focused. He has even become a star soccer player overnight. He says it's cause he's able to keep his thoughts straight now.
    huny9701

Answer by huny9701 at 11:29 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I had and still do have dyslexia, and I had ADD. So now one of my daughters has dyslexia, and all of my daughters have ADHD. So I have to live with that, I just put alot of discipline in the house, and bam, my kids work extra hard to put at least a D on that report card, or else they knoe that they're gonna get it, and they're gonna get it good. But never have I lay a finger on one of my kids, I do not believe in spanking or abusing children with hands, belt, or any other stuff like that.
    NatiMarti

Answer by NatiMarti at 2:53 AM on Feb. 10, 2010