Okay so my son is 13 months old, how do i get him to sleep in his crib?

yes, my son is 13 months old. Right now me and mt fiance share a room with Ethan. Were getting married in july so were playing for the wedding then buying our house. Anyways he is 13 months old and he has always slept in bed with us. I have to put him to sleep every night, he wont let his daddy do it, but sometimes i can get him to Cry it out but then when we go to go to bed he wakes up and crys intill we bring him in bed with us. What do i do?

Asked by Anonymous at 3:50 PM on Jun. 25, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Stop giving in and bringing him into bed with you. They accept schedules and routines. Stop switching the routine around. Stay consistent and he will do just fine. Lay him down at the same time every night (try a bedtime routine like reading a book). If he starts to cry, wait 5 minutes or so and go check on him. Make sure he's ok but don't pick him up. HE WILL BE FINE IF HE CRIES.

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:54 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• Routine, routine, routine! It works, give him a bath, read to your son then put him in his crib ever night at the same time. Let him cry a bit but don't go to grab your son right away. It does work because hubby and I share a room with our 3 babies who are 3, 2 and four months old and everybody is in their own bed all night.

Answer by upwithbabies at 4:03 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• If you're already letting him CIO in his crib, then don't ruin it by giving in later... you're giving him mixed signals. He KNOWS that if he cries, you'll give in. Things will go a lot better for you when your son gets his own room. He won't hear you, so he won't want to get in bed with you.

Answer by crazysocks830 at 4:12 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• just keep putting him in there and letting him cry it out

• if u have another room to put him in then u should do it.

• I agree with the others about consistency. If he cries when he wakes up, this is what I would do: Pick him up...calm him down. Tell him it is all okay. That you love him, and lay him back down. Do it over, and over, and over (I think you get the point here). It may take a while. But he will get it. And you continually reassuring him that you are 'there' and not just abandoning him is a good thing. Giving in is showing him that all he has to do is cry and he will get what he wants. It does get easier and better. I never had my son sleep with me. But I still had to 'teach' him to put himself to sleep. Now at 20 mos, I go through our normal nightly routine and lay him down (wide awake) and he will put himself to sleep.

Answer by ProudSingleMum at 11:16 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• OH you may also want to try a 'lovey' or whatever your choice word would be, haha. My son sleeps with a blankie (well there are several that get rotated, haha). I dont' think he would sleep without it. I have never tried, because I know when I check on him he is always holding it, so I suspect he needs it and it does not harm for him to have it.