Can someone please help me with any suggestions on potty training a small house dog?

31angelmommy3

Asked by 31angelmommy3 at 6:45 PM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Pets

• i have a 3 pound yorkie, and we just crate trained her. when i couldnt keep a close eye on her she was in her cage and let out very often. now she is the best dog i have ever had! she runs the house all day and night even when im not home. i could be gone all day and she doesnt go! and if she does she goes right infront of the door and i know its cuz she couldnt hold it anymore. but thats my best. give treats but i wouldnt do it every time or they will always expect it. and really praise! but you will want to take the treats out with you, because you have to praise right away when they are learning. if you wait til you get in the house they may think you are praising for coming in or listening something other than pottying where they should. DO NOT PAPER TRAIN in the house. we did that with another yorkie because it was cold outside and he could do steps and he never stopped peen in the house!
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 6:49 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Take it out just about every hour.thats important.. give it a treat every time it goes out to potty. use a crate at night.. THEY ARE WONDERFUL and dogs get to love them when you start off using them...If it has an accident in the house dont let it see you clean it up.. its bad. they then start thinking its fine and you will clean up after them. also alot of times a dog will sniff around before it squats.. catch it when it starts doing this and take it out.. just make sure you do lots of praise and treats when it goes outside and potties.. good luck!! little dogs have smaller bladders and need to go more often then big dogs!
    maybebaby83

Answer by maybebaby83 at 6:48 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• thank you both so much.
    31angelmommy3

Answer by 31angelmommy3 at 6:52 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Training pads! The best invention ever! I used them with my chihuahua when she was a puppy, she was trained in a day. They work wonders, she can hold it all day now but likes to use them sometimes when it's cold out
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 7:12 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I used this method with my dog and I stand by it 100%! In the crate when you can't have the dog out with you and when the dog is out with you he/she stays on a leash. Being on a leash has a number of advantages. 1) the dog gets use to being on a leash 2) a dog on a leash can't have an accident without you knowing about it. 3) with the dog being on a leash YOU learn the tell signs that the dog is about to or needs to go out to go potty.
    I kid you not, I house trained my dog in 48 hours with this method!!!
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 10:35 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I agree 100% with crate training. That's what I did with both of my dogs when they were puppies and that is what I'm doing with the puppy I'm fostering now. Not only does it help with potty training, but it keeps them and your things SAFE, too.

Why would anyone want to TEACH their dog to pee/poop in the house (on newspaper/pads)??
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:34 AM on Jan. 6, 2010