question about child birth and tares

I tore this last time i had DS it was 3rd degree- I think the main reason this happened was because he was too big for my body.

I was wondering what my likely hood of taring next time i have a child would be? The next one will probably be big too because I'm diabetic.

If it's very likely I'll tare next time too then I might just opt for a C-section because i'm still not recovered from this 4 months later and it could be even a couple more before I really feel better.

Hali_Taylor

Asked by Hali_Taylor at 7:09 PM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I tore with my first 3rd and healed in two weeks. So I don't know why it is taking you so long and sorry that it is. The tear actually makes a little more room. So you might not or could. I would not let that stopping me from have a vagina birth to a c-sections. c-setions take sometime to heal from. My SIL had a c-setion her baby was over 9lbs and could not carry the baby around for the first month. It was really hard for her to tell her other children they could not sit on her lap or hold them.
    Anonymous

• what could it be that's messing up the healing? an infection? did the doc just screw up?
    Hali_Taylor

Answer by Hali_Taylor at 7:19 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• were you moving around a lot during labor? did you push spontaneously, or were you coached? those are things that can cause tearing, or make tearing worse.

if you are moving around during labor, getting in different positions, and you push spontaneously, rather than doing purple pushing (having a nurse or doctor or midwife tell you when to push and for how long).

i'd read Ina May's Guide to Childbirth, there is some info on the perineum in there. i'm so sorry you are still sore. :(
    Anonymous