Double stroller or not?

I will be having a baby girl in feb, and my son will be 15m old. Is it worth the money to have a duble stroller? They are a little bit more and I really cant us it at the store or anything bc ill have a cart, so I just dont know if I will really get my money out of it. Also if anyone has had any good luck with any strollers please any feedback would be great.

Thanks,
Jackie

JackieB33

Asked by JackieB33 at 7:13 PM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We use ares alot at the Zoo or when we go out of town on trips. I also use it alot on walks. I think it is worth the money even if you don't use it every day. for those times you need it. It is so worth it.
    Anonymous

• My son will be 20 months when my baby is born and I'm STILL planning on getting a double stroller - but I'm looking to buy it off craigslist, lightly used. I don't want to pay the money to buy a new one, but some of the ones on there look barely used and will work great for us!

Answer by missanc at 7:20 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I have a double stroller and I have only used it a few times. I'd say get one, so that if you need it..you'll have it. My kids are 18 months apart.
    Katie80620

Answer by Katie80620 at 7:25 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• My older son is 3 and my younger is 6 months. I originally bought a lightweight side by side stroller (Dream on me) and like it but it's hard to fit through doors and in tight areas (not expensive at all - cost around $100). Just today I went out and bought a Joovy....baby can sit in the front while my older son can either stand or sit on the bench in back. Perfect solution for us and it was not that expensive either ($250).
    Kimposible

Answer by Kimposible at 7:26 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Ours were 18 months apart; I used a single stroller and let the older boy stand on the back rail with my arms cradled around him ... he felt especially cuddled by that. I rarely used it, they both liked being down inside the grocery store cart ...

... you don't want to put a baby in a stroller until they are strong at sitting - too much jarring to the brain.

And I am a BIG fan of the physical and neurological benefits of WALKING for children, so most of the time I just let them walk - isn't it ridiculous to see these parents rolling their toddlers & young children along for some "fresh air". You look at the child, and they are strapped in, forced to hold still and their parents are oblivious of their child's reactions to sights and sounds; the child might as well be by himself! ... Compare that with walking along holding the little one's hand in yours, aware of every delight or curious pause, able to stop & explain ..
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 7:32 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• My now 8 and 9 year olds were 18 months apart and I had a front/back with them and used it ALL the time! We went on long walks, outside when it was warm or in the mall when it was cold. I had a Graco Duo, which is what I'm looking for used on craigslist now for my younger 2. It was fairly worn out when I was done with it (I had also used it for my oldest, now 12 and my 9 year old when he was born), but it lasted as long as I needed it to.

Answer by missanc at 7:34 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• try a second hand store or newspaper to get one used that way you won't be out so much money if it doesn't work. good luck
    ohio4

Answer by ohio4 at 7:59 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• If you ... (with the kids)
    Take long walks
    Go to the Zoo
    Go to the park

Or anything of that nature frequently .. even if just during the summer .. then it might be wise to invest in one. If you only go out running errands to stores, then it's probably not worth it. Even just a double umbrella stroller might be worth it for those quick trips to the mall or something.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:31 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• My kids are 2.5 years apart and I own a babytrend sit n stand plus. The back seat comes off to convert to a sit n stand stroller and any carseat fits on it too. Best of all it's on clearance at Walmart.com for $120 with free shipping to the store!
    DeputyWifeJen

Answer by DeputyWifeJen at 8:38 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• My kids were 16 months apart and the double was my savior! Sure I couldn't use it at the grocery store (I put the older in the cart seat and wore the younger) but going to the mall, going for walks, even once in a while at home, I used it a lot! I just got a fairly cheap one (I think it was $80 at ToysRUs) but it held up soooo well, I didn't regret having it at all!
    Anonymous