How can I get my teenage boy to stop cutting class?

He hates school. Has great potential but doesnt use it!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:20 PM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• how is he cutting? does he drive to school? take away his car- make it not worth it. you could take his phone so it's harder for him to contact people. if he doesn't have a car or a phone and is still cutting then you have a real problem on your hands, you may have to switch schools- but thats only a temporary solution. This is all the stuff my parents did with me... but it never really worked in the end.
    Hali_Taylor

Answer by Hali_Taylor at 7:33 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• my dd tried this i took off work and went to school with her------------never happened again lol
    ohio4

Answer by ohio4 at 7:58 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Despite taking things away and restricting him, he'll find a way. Kids always do. Why does he hate school so much he'll risk all the consequences? Is he bored? If he has great potential, maybe he needs a more challenging environment. In our state, cutting class can mean serious fines through the court system for parents and their children (if they're 17 or older I believe; other than that it lies on the parents' shoulders). Have you considered switching schools? Maybe an alternative school that offers online courses and self-paced curriculum ... I'm not sure what's available in your area. Has he been tested for learning disabilities? Could he be depressed? What's going on in his social situation? Is it the crowd he's hanging out with?

I ask so many questions, because being the oldest of 6 kids, we all skipped for one or more reasons I stated above. Start asking questions, and you'll find the right answer.
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 7:59 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• If you know where he's going/what he's doing, call a cop you know, or a truancy officer, or tail him from school yourself, or find a friend who can tail him, find out what's going on (tail to find out, call a cop to bust him for skipping school).
    Anonymous

• Have you asked him and really listened to his answers? Why does he cut classes? Why doesn't he like school? What are his plans for 5 years? 10 years? What steps does he need to take to meet these goals?

Answer by rkoloms at 9:19 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Drop him off at school? Pick him up? and do pop up visits and if he is not in class act real crazy. I popped up on my son once and he was coming out the stairs giggling and laughing. His mouth dropped so hard. After I bust him upside his head and embarrassed him in front of his friends and the teacher he never did it again.

Im so proud of him for getting it together?
    Anonymous

• My mother took a day of work and went to school with me. She sat in on all my classes and walked me from one to another. Even sat with me at lunch and stood outside the bathroom stall... It was harsh, but I definitely cut down on the class cutting after that!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:10 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• take his car and his phone and YOU take and pick him up from school and call the police on him because if you dont You will go to jail for your kid not attending school at least thats how it is here.
    Texan1993

Answer by Texan1993 at 3:49 PM on Jan. 20, 2010