I figured out a way to teach my dog to stay out of the garbage!!!

I put soap in his mouth. Not a lot, but enough for him to hate it. I had to do it twice. He went in the trash with me 4 feet away! He wanted to do it again, but thought better of it. Now I'm gonna wipe some on the lid, so he smells it. Hopefully that will keep him out!

Raine2001

Asked by Raine2001 at 7:25 PM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Pets

• you might end up giving him diarrhea though.......
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 7:26 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Poor puppy. : (
    Anonymous

• hope he doesn't start liking the smell of soap cos of garbage then you in big trouble too many soap products around lol he eats your shampoo, dish soap, soap cos it taste like streak lol
    ohio4

Answer by ohio4 at 7:56 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• That's animal cruelty. Soap is filled with chemicals that can harm him. Even if it wasn't a large amount of soap, you can put him in danger. Even if it's giving him diarreha. That wasn't cool, not cool at all. There are a lot more humane and safer ways to train your dog to stay out of the garbage.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:24 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I should try that on my dog....animal cruelty...hmmm. I'll take that under advisement as well.
    huniebearsmama

Answer by huniebearsmama at 8:54 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Well Jazz, it's Green Works, and according to the bottle, there are not harsh chemicals. And it was only a little bit. Just enough for him to know he doesn't like it. I'm sure it won't hurt him any more then the box of whoppers did. He finds ways of getting things. Animal cruelty, call the Animal Cops. Maybe I'll call them myself.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 8:58 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Lots of these women think it's ok to do to human kids though....
    Anonymous

• well good for you girl, i'm glad you sound something easy and quick that works. a dog gettin in the garbage where i live would get him shot. i'll keep that in mind if i ever own a garbage picker, i wouldn't want another puppy shot.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:30 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• jewjewbee, I hope you were kidding, but something tells me you weren't. Training a dog is what keeps it out of the garbage, not shooting the thing....I wouldn't want you to have another puppy if you are going to shoot it because you didn't bother to teach it right from wrong.

OP, did you try training your dog? Training is a great tool to stop dogs from doing things you don't want them to do. Did you try locking up the garbage, or putting something in front of the place you keep the garbage? Or perhaps crating the dog at night? There are a host of other things that you can do to keep from soaping your dog. Little amounts or not, it fair to the dog. If he wasn't properly trained, it isn't his fault.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 9:10 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• My ktchen garbage can doesn't have a lid, so I put a spare cookie sheet on top like a lid. The first time he tried to get in after putting the cookie pan on top, it fell down with a terrible clatter--scared the poop out of him and he never tried it again.
    PLEASE don't wash kid's or pet's mouths out with soap. My grandmother did that to me and I aspirated some of the bubbles and almost strangled to death. It is cruel and possibly dangerous.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 11:12 AM on Jan. 6, 2010