How do I get my son to take a sippy cup?

My son is 13 months old and wants nothing, I repeat, NOTHING to do with a sippy cup. I've tried giving him the bottle first and then switching to the sippy...NOPE! I've tried just giving him the sippy...NOPE! Nothing seems to be working. Everyone at work is telling me to just give him the sippy cup, if he's thirsty he'll drink out of it...but I hate to hear him scream like that... And it doesn't help that he doesn't like juice or water either....

I'm afraid he'll be on the bottle FOREVER!

How did you get your child to take a sippy cup?

Born2BAMommy5

Asked by Born2BAMommy5 at 8:08 PM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Welcom to my world. Our pediatrician advised us to be off the bottle by 18 month. I started introducing the sippy when my daughter turned one. She had no interest. I even tried to switch to faster flowing nipples on her bottles to help transition and she would not drink the bottles with the clear nipples. I gave her three months to transition on her own with no luck. She's 15 months and I just got rid of all the bottles over the weekend and gave her a sippy cup only. The first couple of days went pretty well. Then she got pretty cranky. We're now five days in and she is starting to drink from the sippy on her own.

She was still mad this morning, because she loves that morning baba. I'm hoping within the next few days she'll forget about the baba. I finally had to try the tough love tactic. Otherwise I'd be that lady with the four year old drinking from a bottle.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 8:14 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Give it to him empty to play with every day at the table. Then when he starts asking for a drink, ask him if he wants it in his cup. Let it be his idea.
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 8:26 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Everybody at work is right. He won't scream forever it will take maybe a week if that long. You have to put up with the screaming, letting him get away with it teaches him that he doesn't have to what you ask. Bite the bullet and throw away the bottles and only give him sippy cup.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 8:44 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• they sell two different types of sippy cups one with a hard spout when my son was ready I gave it to him, he screamed and screamed then I was told they sell sippy cups with a soft spout which makes it easier to transition from a bottle to a sippy cup, so I bought a couple brought them home and he took it right away!!
    jsimonds220

Answer by jsimonds220 at 8:44 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• my son wouldn't take a regular sippy, but we got him the kind with the straw and he took to it right awy. have you tried a straw cup?
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 9:47 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• You should try to drink something out of one of those sometime. I know that those goofy valves say fast and slow flow but even on fast flow they are HARD to get anything out of. What worked for my first was one that looked a lot like tupperware. It didn't require a huge amount of work to get his drink> I did juice in that one and once he was a sippy pro I was able to use different cups. With this baby I go the straw route. I had him try to drink out out of a soft straw and my cup. When he did that with no problems I bought the sippy cups that have the soft silicone straws and that is what he uses now.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 9:59 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• My DD won't take a sippy cup OR a bottle. She's 13 months and breastfed. Has never wanted a bottle or pacifier. She loves to PLAY with the sippy cup. So I keep offering it and sometimes I help her take a drink. I just keep hoping she'll start to enjoy drinking out of it. Good luck!
    RobynS

Answer by RobynS at 8:42 AM on Jan. 6, 2010