Anyone have a good sweet tea recipe???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:22 PM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Food & Drink

• OK this is how I make it: Southern girls know their sweet tea :-)

Boil water in a pot (doesn't matter how much water, but I boil about 3 cups). Turn off the heat and place the tea bags (usually 4 regular bags/gallon) in the water. allow it to steep for about 5 minutes, longer if you like it strong. Put about 1 - 1 1/4 cup of sugar in/per gallon. Pour the tea into the pitcher. Stir the sugar and tea until the sugar has dissolved, then add cold water until the pitcher is filled :-). Pour it over ice and YUMMY!!!!

Enjoy y'all :-)
    ratchetlee

Answer by ratchetlee at 8:46 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• put tea bags in a jar and let it hit the sun sun tea is the best
    Anonymous

• DH used to truck. Mainly down south, into Texas, Louisiana, that area. So he's had real sweet tea. I have too and love it. I have tried way after way after way to replicate it. I even used the true sweet tea recipe that a lot of southerners use (received from a southern-bred & raised gal). The one DH says tastes the best is so dumb and easy, but I have to do it exactly the same every time! I take a gallon pitcher, put some hot water in it, and add just a hair over a cup of sugar, and stir til it's dissolved. I add an eye-balled 2/3 cup of Nestea (yep, the instant granules that come in a jar - and it has to be Nestea, not any other brand, unsweetened, not decaf, dark green lid!) and mix. Dump in a bunch of ice and mix til the tea's dissolved. Add in some cold water til the pitcher's half full, and keep mixing. Fill the pitcher, mix again, and drink (or refrigerate). DH & I drink a gallon or more a day in summer!
    Anonymous

• I use my coffee pot (the 12 cup size) . Put 4 tea bags in and brew. Add sugar while it is still warm.
    t_06_twins

Answer by t_06_twins at 9:20 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Southern Living Sweet Tea is basically a scientific process
    One Gallon
    pour very cold water into a gallon sized pot or larger and bring to a boil quickly. colder water contains more oxygen and oxygen is need for the tea to release the black tea compounds.
    take 2 family sized tea bags of your choice into the pot
    add a pinch of baking soda-keeps tear crystal clear and removes any bitterness
    when water begins to boil, turn off the heat and cover with a lid to steep. steep tea for about 15-20 minutes and then add sugar to your taste. i use about 2 c for a gallon.
    let set to room temperature before refrigeration.
    NEVER USE BOILING WATER OR BOIL YOUR TEABAGS. DON'T ADD LEMON UNTIL JUST BEFORE SERVING.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:46 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I make my tea exactly like ratchetlee. I only buy Luzianne or Red Diamond tea bags. Off brand tea bags taste nasty and I find are made for iced tea, and yes there is a HUGE difference between Sweet and Iced tea.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 9:56 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I love my tea and had several people tell me that my tea is great. I use red diamond quart/family size bags only one. I use a iced tea maker with out the ice and brew the tea that way(boil water and drop in bad and steep works as well). I mix brewed tea, a little over a cup of sugar in a gallon container and fill remaining way with cold water and mix. Put in fridge and drink over ice with or with out lemon. If you only have the reg tea bags I use 2 to 3 of those instead of the 1 larger bag. Also the longer you steep the tea the stronger it is. To me the tea is better when it has been mixed and left in the fridge for a few hours or overnight.
    SuzanneL09

Answer by SuzanneL09 at 12:23 PM on Jan. 6, 2010