Do you need a cover letter when writing a resume?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:24 PM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Money & Work

• Always. Be sure to do some research on the company before you write the letter. The letter should highlight what in your skills and experience make you a great fit for the company and the position.

I do career and job search coaching; send me a message offlist if you would like some help with your cover letter or resume (I don't charge CafeMoms for my services).

Answer by rkoloms at 9:10 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• i think only if youre mailing it to a company
    snoober_k

Answer by snoober_k at 8:38 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• It depends on how you are submitting the resume. If you are mailing, e-mailing or faxing, I would include a cover letter. If you are taking it in person, you don't need one.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 9:00 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I run a small business. I want a cover letter with a mailed resume. We don't accept emailed or faxed resumes. Resumes dropped off don't need a cover letter.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:41 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• YES!! Some places will just toss the resume without the cover letter without even looking at it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:04 PM on Jan. 5, 2010