For woman of Islam:

At what age are you required to wear a head covering? I have noticed little girls don't wear one even when the mother is... so I was just curious.

Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:36 PM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• It depends on the girl honestly.
    I know a 9 yr old here that wears it while her 14 yr old sister doesn't.
    Some cultures also I've noticed their little girls wearing it earlier, I know some Somalis and their little girls wear it around 7-8, While Bangladeshi (husbands culture) girls don't wear it until they are 14-15.

According to Islam a woman should wear it when they get their periods. When they are marriageable age.

I didn't wear it until 5 years AFTER I had converted, when I was 26.
    AmmuJSE

Answer by AmmuJSE at 10:30 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I have no idea...I know you specified women of Islam, but i think the time to wear the coverings is around puberty. The reason it is worn at all is to be modest and to not tempt a man. So little girls are not near marrying age and should not be tempting men in the first place so they do not need to wear it. When they hit puberty and closer to marrying age then they need to cover up. Still, I understand it is a personal choice to cover up and how much to cover up. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
    huniebearsmama

Answer by huniebearsmama at 8:49 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Some girls start wearing the hijab earlier; some are more liberal than their monthers and only wear them when they attend a mosque.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:07 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• @huniebearsmama

Nope your Right :) Thank you!
    AmmuJSE