Anybody have some Disney tips? (long, lot's of questions)

We're taking our oldest to Disney World the day before she turns 3 (Jan 24). Anyone have any tips? Advice? Should we get a fast pass? Would it be worth it in January? Is it crowded this time of year? How much money should we plan on spending? Do they do anything special for birthday kids? What kinds of attractions do you think a 3 year old will love most? We're bringing our youngest too (8 months) and my parents and MIL.

You'd think I'd know some of these things as I've lived here nearly 5 years lol. Any advice is welcome!

Xynyth

Asked by Xynyth at 8:36 PM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Entertainment

• So...
    Your kids are the same ages mine were when we went the first time. This is what I recommend. (Have been many times!)
    Take a stroller that has a basket. Take good snacks. (Beef jerky, protein stuff and crackers.) Take water. Plan on waiting and taking turns. Bring stuff for the baby to do as they get really bored with being in the stroller all day.
    Lunch for us in September was around 80. We have three teens though. The food at the park is pretty crappy. We would leave in the middle of the day, run to in and out or taco bell. Eat and run back. It was a good break. Look into the parking. I think it is 18 a day to park (in CA.) Disney world has way more options and it is harder to leave the park. Go to the Disney website. READ everything. Good luck
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 9:03 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• At that time of year it shouldn't be as crowded. So it is worth going at that time... not sure about the fast pass though. They are worth it if it's crowded though. Disney is kinda pricey, so you can spend a lot there, but if you eat before and plan of eating outside the park after you leave, then you may only need to eat once in the park and can save some cash. As far as it being her B-DAY, let the park people know when you come in, somtime they do special things for birthday people. Oh and you might want to check into a free ticket for her since it's her b-day. They were offereing that promo for a while.
    That's all I can think of on my end, hope I've helped.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 9:04 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Fast passes are not something you buy. You just walk up toi the fastpass kiosk by the ride and get a pass. It will tell oyu when to return. If the park is crowded, it's well worthwhile.

I think the free tickets are over...that was a 2009 promotion. For 2010, it's community service.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:46 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• We're actually doing the Give a Day Get a Day volunteer thing so my husband and I will get in free. DD will still technically be two so she still gets in free, my parents have annual passes and my MIL is looking to volunteer too lol.

Did not know that about the fast pass, but now I know what you're talking about, thanks! Didn't know you could bring food in (not that I'm above sneaking snacks in lol) That will be a big help.

We have a sit and stand stroller and my diaper bag is a backpack. I imagine there is stroller parking outside the lines right?

We're actually saving money by going to Disney this year rather than having a party, and now with the free tickets I'm waaaaayyy less concerned about eating in the park and maybe getting a souvenir or two. Still don't want to over do it though.

I'll definitely look at the website, thanks ladies!
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 10:09 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• There are lockers just outside of the park, not sure exactly where, but you can pack a smaller ice chest with lunch. We did that all the time when we had passes. The fastpasses are the best, and eliminate waiting in line. They are free. You can also go up the exit and ride single without waiting in line also. With those two tips, all the adults should be able to get in as much fun as the kids do without taking up much time. Another tip, on the fast-pass ticket that you recieve when you put your park ticket into the machine, there are two times given. One is the time that you can return to ride the ride. The other is the time when you can get your next fast pass ticket. Sometimes they do not match, meaning that you can get another ticket before your ride time as arrived. We always got a new fast-pass before riding the current ride so that we could get in more rides in one day. Oh, get her a birthday sticker!
    squish

Answer by squish at 11:36 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Thanks! I think I might be a little tooooo excited for this. Last time I went to Disney I was 6!
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 7:59 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• this has been asked many times .scout the past questions!! Very helpfull answers. I know there are Disney groups to join also.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 11:51 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I did search the answers but none of them had what was looking for but thank you. Neither did the groups. I was just looking for some quick and dirty info :)
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 12:11 PM on Jan. 6, 2010